Bottling/Corking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpogo

Reaction score
I'm bottling my first mead today and I wanted to see how my corker worked. This is what happened:

I dipped the cork in water and then tried corking the bottle and I noticed the cork cracking.

Is this a big deal? Do I need to soak the cork a slight bit longer?

My mead's gravity doesn't seem to be changing and I can see through it. It's been racked a few times. Is there anything I'm forgetting?

Corks shouldn't be soaked. You can just use them. I often do put some sulfite solution in with them, just to be sure they are sanitary. But don't soak them- it's not good for the cork.

GURRRR. I hate those damn straight sided natural corks! Make 100% Sure your cork is started 100% strait...then check it again! Those corks tend to start crooked, and then shave as you insert them. Just hit it with some starsan...or sulfate and then insert STRAIGHT. If you continue to have issues...try the synthetic corks or a #8 cork..They insert a bit easier till you get a handle on it.

Back