Here's What I Came Up With for an Arrogant Bastard Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I searched the net for some recipes, and with a little guidance as far as ingredients go from a buddy from our Home Brew Club who has Brewed with Mitch at the Brewery, here's what I came up with.

12.50 lbs UK 2 Row(Not American as UK is what I have on hand)

0.75 lbs Crystal 120L

0.75 Special B

1.25 oz. Chinook at 12.1% (90 Minutes)

1.00 oz Chinook at 12.1% (45 minutes)

0.75 oz Chinook at 12.1% (Flame Out)

SafAle 04 Yeast

There it is. I am shooting for an OG of 1.074 and my IBU's should be around 60.7. I'll be brewing this batch next Monday. What do you think?

The AHS Clone kit is
13.5# 2 row
1.5# Crystal 120
2.5 oz chinook @ 60
.75 oz chinook @15
.75 oz chinook @ 5

OG 1.074
IBU 114

I brewed it about 4 weeks ago so I haven't tasted it yet. But a hydro sample was tasty, and the color is spot on.

I only have 3 ounces of Chinook on hand. We all know how much of a pian it is to find Chinook. I wish I could find 2 more ounces.:(

I would use more Chinook for flavor/aroma, maybe take .25oz from the 90min addition and use it in the flameout, to bring it up to 1oz. You have to have a good aroma/flavor on AB.

My recipe is just 11 pounds pale malt (I used MO) and the 1.5 pounds crystal 120, and then

1.25 oz 90 minutes
1.00 oz 30 minutes
.50 oz flameout.

That was really good, and I'm making it again later this week. According to Beersmith, I'm at 91 IBUs.

I liked it that way, so I can't comment on making a bigger addition earlier.

I also have an Arrogant Bastard recipe in my Recipes dropdown. It's a partial mash, but I usually sub in 12 lbs of 2 row for AG.

RLinNH said:
Anyone who has used 2.5 ounces at 90 minutes, please chime in. How'd it come out?

I used the 2 1/2 oz at 60 minutes not 90. I tasted my first one last night. I think the ibus are a little higher than they are supposed to be because the Chinooks that AHS sent me were 14.4%AA. Instead of the 12%AA that I am used to. I will have to wait and see if it mellows out in a few weeks.
Good luck with yours, I hope it works out for you! :mug:

RLinNH said:
I searched the net for some recipes, and with a little guidance as far as ingredients go from a buddy from our Home Brew Club who has Brewed with Mitch at the Brewery, here's what I came up with.
12.50 lbs UK 2 Row(Not American as UK is what I have on hand)
0.75 lbs Crystal 120L
0.75 Special B
1.25 oz. Chinook at 12.1% (90 Minutes)
1.00 oz Chinook at 12.1% (45 minutes)
0.75 oz Chinook at 12.1% (Flame Out)
SafAle 04 Yeast
There it is. I am shooting for an OG of 1.074 and my IBU's should be around 60.7. I'll be brewing this batch next Monday. What do you think?
The IBUs are low for an AB and the yeast has lower attenuation and more character than is used in the commercial version.
I would use US-05 and add a little high alpha hop to the first addition. Maybe save some of the Chinook for a late addition and use a substitute for the bittering addition.
Otherwise I like use of Special B and dark crystal in the beer. I think the UK base malt will be a positive for the beer also.
Craig

Back