Is this a good kegging system.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it seems a little pricy since its a used keg that hasn't been re-furb'd yet.

bought separately, that regulator is worth $25, the 5lb CO2 cylinder is about $70, and the keg is worth no more than $30 since it needs all 5 o-rings replaced.
$8 for the two QD's and a few bucks for the gas line, another $6 for the picnic tap.

so its' prolly $30~ over priced if you shopped around at places like beveragefactory.com

but if the gift cert is decent, its not the worst deal out there.

Looks ok, has all of the necessary pieces and the price is reasonable. A reconditioned keg should have new o-rings and have been pressure tested. The new CO2 tank is a large chunk of the price though and many suppliers exchange tanks rather than filling them. But, if that's where the certificate is issued, go for it.

That looks pretty expensive. You could get the same kit from kegconnection.com with a refurb. corney for about $40 less. Search ebay or craigslist and you'll be able to find a better deal.

It's just a tad overpriced (MoreBeer sells the same kit with a reconditioned keg for $11 less), but it's got all the requisite equipment. I'd say if your gift certificate covers the bulk of the cost...go for it!

Before you order that puppy, be sure there's a gas vendor near you that will fill that bottle. Around here, there's no one I know of that fills to order - you just take them the empty and they swap you for a full one. What you get is Hobson's choice - you take what they have. This means your pretty aluminum bottle will likely get swapped for a dinged-up, rusty steel one.

Unless you can be sure you'll get to keep your bottle, I recommend buying a kit without one, then picking up the bottle at your gas vendor. It should cost about $70 for a 5-pound cylinder, and another $10-15 each time you swap.

I have heard people saying that its hard to get their own tanks filled from a welding shop...The shop wants to swap them out for an old cruddy one...I have the same aluminum tank and I get it filled at a place that refills fire extinguishers...Never had a problem yet. The only downside is every 5 years you have to get your CO2 Hydro tested. Im not sure how much it costs, but it cant be that much. If you are always exchanging your tank the Hydro issue is never a problem....Oh, you can get seal rebuild kits really cheap...2 bucks or less at my LHBS, and its easy to do.....I also read an article about cutting down the dip tube by 1/4" so you get less sediment off the bottom of the Corny...I did it and it seems to work pretty good....Give your local Fire Extinguisher place a call and order it if thats where your gift card is for.....

Back