What's going on here VIDEO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhowlett

Reaction score
Pretty stock amber ale, 6 lb amber LME, and 1 oz of hops and whirlflock. Pretty stock yeast, dry english ale yeast. On it's third day of fermentation.

[ame="http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=6yul4p1&s=1"]View My Video[/ame]

We had a batch act just like that when we added some Irish Moss, which we thought was for flavor but is apparently some kind of clarifyer. Dont know if that is actually the reason but we never saw it before and have never seen it since.

Irish moss is to be added during the final 15 mins of your boil. It helps remove a lot of the proteins and whatnot that didn't get removed in the hot break. By removing these, the resulting beer will be clearer and will be less likely to display chill haze later on. It doesn't contribute to the flavor and it won't really hurt anything if you leave it out since it's effect is purely aesthetic. The same clearing effect can be achieved with an extended period of cold conditioning. It just takes longer.

I have seen that before, several times, my fermenters do that every time I brew beer. The sad thing is that the only solution is to ship the beer to me in Boston for proper disposal.

Back