Received extra hops, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ampsonic

Reaction score
Hello,

Brewing my first Partial Mash, a Cascade Pale Ale Partial Mash kit from Midwest Supplies.

3.3lb. of Light Malt Extract
4 lb. American 2-row malt
8 oz. Carapils
8 oz. Caramel 10L
3 oz. Cascade pellets (60, 15, 5)

On advice I read, I also picked up 1 oz of Cascade for dry hopping.

But low and behold, I have 5 oz of Cascade in the box! Should I make use of this extra hops, or just save it in the fridge for the next brew?

I brewed that one myself. Been in bottles some 5 days now. That extra half ounce would make a nice dry hop.

The kit is a biab,& I used a cake cooling rack in the bottom of my BK to keep the bag of grains from burning on the bottom. It also allows the hot water to circulate beneath it. Mashing at 155 for 1 hour seems to have worked well for me. OG range is 1.042-1.046,& I got 1.044 my 1st time out. My FG was 1.012,the upper limit of the range given. Since I did a fine crush,& US-05 is medium flocculation,it was slightly misty at bottling time. after 3 days,the bottles are clear. Looks like amber orange after 5 days in. But I also saved the 3.3lb jug of gold LME for flame out,like I usually do. The mash being 50% of the fermentables in a 3 gallon partial boil was great for all the hop additions.

Thanks for the help everyone, done brewing for the day.

I hit a SG of 1.042 (kit calls for 1.042-1.046). Is there a way for me to calculate efficiency?

Back