Fruit wine primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lustreking

Reaction score
I want to try making some 1 gallon batches of fruit wine using recipes from the Jack Keller page. I have a bunch of 1 gallon wine bottles, but I was wondering what you use for primary fermenters.

Thanks,
Steve

For a 1 gal batch? I've seen/ used a large glass container from a lab my friend works at. It looks similar to a growler, except it holds about a gallon.

A one gallon glass jug is kind of small- you do get some foaming and it can go over the top. I usually use a plastic bucket. I got some from the grocery store bakery- it used to hold frosting or peanut butter. You don't need the lid, just a towel over the top to keep fruitflies, etc, out. Then, for secondary, you can use the gallon jug with a #6 stopper and airlock.

Thanks Yooper Chick,

I'll have to check out the grocery store. I knew my gallon jugs would be too small for primary, and my 5-7 gallon beer fermenters are probably too big.

Thanks again,
-S

If you don't mind watering your wine a little, I use the gal jugs as primaries and a low foaming wine yeast, or a blowoff tube. When I rack I top with more juice or a little water (if its a high abv wine)

mike

Back