Need Help- Priming Sugar- Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd call it a 6D (American Wheat or Rye Beer), but its definitely in the "other" category.

If it's not going into a competition use enough sugar to get the carbonation you like! I tend to over prime because I like head (no pun intended :D )

If it's not going into a competition use enough sugar to get the carbonation you like! I tend to over prime because I like head (no pun intended :D )

Yea, but how much?

I ended up using 1.2 oz for a 1 gallon batch. Is that enough/too much?

Yea, but how much?

I ended up using 1.2 oz for a 1 gallon batch. Is that enough/too much?

That is a bit high! I use between 3.5 and 4.5 oz per 5 gal of table sugar on my beers which is about 0.7 or 0.9oz per gallon. If you use corn sugar you could use 1.0 or 1.2 oz per gallon and be ok but that will have a ton of carbonation. Be sure to put your beer in the fridge for at least a few days before you open them to avoid gushers. :tank:

Just great...So what the heck is the point of using a calculator like TastyBrew if they don't give accurate information? I went to "Wheat Beers," which this is, and picked the lowest amount of priming sugar they recommended (1.2 oz and 1.5 oz's) for the styles of "Wheat Beers." Why would they tell me to use 1.2 ounces if that's too much?

So now what are my options? TastBrew told me to use 1.2 ounces of priming sugar for a Wheat Beer that had a total volume of 0.85 gallons (which is how much I had after trub loss/etc). So if this is supposedly "too much," what can I do? I only bottled these an hour ago, and they're sitting here on my counter top.

Um, that's not what I got....

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Light Ale American Wheat:

5gal batch at 72 degrees

Sugar Type Weight
Glucose (dextrose or corn sugar) 4.4 oz
Sucrose (table sugar) 4.2 oz
DME 55% AA (eg: Laaglander) 10.2 oz
DME 70% AA (eg: Northwestern) 8.0 oz
DME 75% AA (eg: Munton & Fison) 7.4 oz

Um, that's not what I got....

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Light Ale American Wheat:

5gal batch at 72 degrees

Sugar Type Weight
Glucose (dextrose or corn sugar) 4.4 oz
Sucrose (table sugar) 4.2 oz
DME 55% AA (eg: Laaglander) 10.2 oz
DME 70% AA (eg: Northwestern) 8.0 oz
DME 75% AA (eg: Munton & Fison) 7.4 oz

Alright then, I guess I didn't see that.
Since what's done is done, and I used 1.2 oz (should have apparently only used 0.7 oz...What would you guys recommend that I do? These were only bottled an hour ago.

From what I understand,wheat bers are supposed to have more carbonation than a comparative ale. I think it'll be ok.

There are probably many options, but I recommend you do 1 of 2 things:

1. Nothing.
2. Pop the tops, rest new caps on top without sealing, and let the yeast consume the priming sugar. Then re-prime each bottle individually and recap.

I'm thinking about putting them in a storage bin with a lid and letting them go 1 week, then putting 1 in the fridge to try it. If it's good, then put the rest in the fridge immediately to drink. If not carbed, will wait a few more days and try another.

Thoughts?

From what I understand,wheat bers are supposed to have more carbonation than a comparative ale. I think it'll be ok.

I would normally agree with this, but his recipe is not a true wheat beer. It is kinda 60/40 with 2-row and wheat. I think the amount of CO2 he's dealing with would make it way too carbonated and could result in this:

I was very drunk when I bottled these...

Last edited by a moderator:
It may take more than a week,even for a wheat beer to carb well. But try one after a week in bottles & at least a few days in the fridge. Getting co2 into solution isn't a quick process. Also,many wheat DME's,for instance,are 60/40 or so between wheat & barley. So his ratio is right in there.

Back