I so want to open one of my beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim2akat2

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA and it will be two weeks on Sunday and I so want to try the beer but the Revvy said to wait 3 weeks. I am going to wait but my will is starting to weaken. Tim

PS it's my first brew

Hey Tim. I think we all had that same feeling. If you can, wait. Your beer may be close to FG, but give it another week before you pull a sample. Then wait two more days and pull another sample. If you have the same gravity, you can bottle!

Taste one, who is Revvy to tell you you can't? ;) Imho, you SHOULD taste one every 5 days or so on your first couple of batches. It'll show you how the carbonation process works, and teach you to be patient. Before long, you'll bottle a batch and not even think about it for 3 weeks.

Edit: is it bottled, or still in primary?

Oh, my gosh- try one! Not seven, but one. Just stick it in the fridge tonight and try it tomorrow after work. You can at least get a glimmer of greatness that way. Do it!

What I like to do is see how many bottles I have over 2 cases. I then divide that up over a couple of weeks and try them. That way when its ready I have 2 cases of it exactly, it suits my OCD nature. Oh, I brew 5 gal batches............

It is bottled and has been sitting in my spare bath room at about 68-70 degrees. I really want one but I know waiting will be worth it. I waited 18 years once to get even with someone so I figure what is another week but it is so hard. Going to brew again this weekend maybe and irish red

Just had one from my second batch. It has only been in the bottle one week and yes, it was definitely green. I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses as it ages. I say go for it and enjoy!

DO IT! there is not a single person on here that has not tasted a beer before it should have been done (i am guessing even Revvy). this is what you will learn from this process

1) there will be a difference between the first and last beer no matter how long you wait
2) the first one will be alright
3) the last one will be the BEST beer in the batch
4) it is your beer and you will do whatever the F&#$ you want!!!!!
5) there are no beer cops that will arrest you for having one at this point

with all of my brews i will have one at: day 10, day 14, day 21 if they are done at day 10, drink up. if they are not done at day 21, i will wait another week. all beer will eventually be done.

IPAs should be drank early anyways. they will loose a little of their punch over time.

drink one for me!! PROST!!! (or boobies)

As a new brewer myself, the "surveillance beer" early is an important part of the learning process. Understanding what a green beer is and understanding how the beer gets better with time helps the waiting process in the future... And yes, get to brewing nonstop until you have a sufficient pipeline. I am limited to 2.5 gallon batches with my equipment at the present moment and it mysteriously disappears faster than I can brew and condition it.

I'll be drinking the first bottle from my first batch Friday. I bottled last Wednesday, I put the bottle in the fridge yesterday, so when I open it up tomorrow it'll be nine days in the bottle (two of which in the fridge). I plan to do this every week until it's ready (hopefully three weeks).

Tim try one. I remember you brewed the same time I did and the same recipe. I tried one last weekend and it was good (I was really suprised after only a week), but I could tell it needed more time. I am trying another one this weekend to see the difference.

Try one. I have had some that were good at 2 weeks and others that needed more than a month. If it is close I wait another few days. If totally flat I might wait another couple of weeks.

I use the same idea as a previous poster...Whatever I have over 2 cases, I use as my tasters leading up to the 3-4 mark. I like to see how everything is coming along at different intervals.

tim2akat2 said:
I brewed an IPA and it will be two weeks on Sunday and I so want to try the beer but the Revvy said to wait 3 weeks. I am going to wait but my will is starting to weaken. Tim

PS it's my first brew

If you open one now future you will be pissed at past you for opening it before its ready.

Back