pitch temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seckert

Reaction score
ok so i have always been told to pitch yeast at about 70. i was reading through a recipe and i noticed that it said to add yeast when the wort was 78 or lower. now the yeast temp range is 64-73. since this is the case, why would they tell you to pitch outside the range and warmer than normal? is there some benefit to doing this that i am unaware of? or any other reason for that matter?

What strain of yeast was it? Arguably, temps over 78 could be detrimental to the yeast. Perhaps it could be that some people may have difficulty quickly chilling their wort much below 78, especially in the summer.

Frankly, it is better to get your pitch temp closer to your fermentation temp.

I usually like to pitch at the low end of the recommended temp range, or even a couple of degrees lower. If you pitch hot and the temps start rising it is harder to get it under control. Pitching low is much easier to control the fermenting temps.

I think they are helping to rush things. You can add the yeast at that temperature and not harm it but you should still get the wort to the low end of the yeast's range. Remember that fermentation will raise the temperature of the wort by 5-10 degrees.

it was brewferm blanche ale dry yeast. I thought it would be bad as well thats why i dont understand why they would say to have it that warm.

I usually like to pitch at the low end of the recommended temp range, or even a couple of degrees lower. If you pitch hot and the temps start rising it is harder to get it under control. Pitching low is much easier to control the fermenting temps.

I never have a problem with temps going all over the place. i have a big plastic bin that i fill up with water and put my bucket/carboy into. since it is surrounded by water the temps take way longer to move up and down. if i need it to go down i just throw in a couple frozen water bottles, but for the most part it stays exactly where i need/want it.

Back