Washer from Bargain Fittings cooler kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper9

Reaction score
I picked up a bulkhead kit from BargainFittings.com recently and in putting it together found the included washer doesn't fit flush against my orange 10g cooler wall due to how the cooler wall is molded. When put together there is a bit of play due to this washer not sitting flush against the wall so I assume it won't hold water at all.

I picked up a zinc plated washer from homedepot that is much larger and appears to do the job. Now i know this type of metal should never come into direct contact with beer but with it being placed on the outside, it should be safe right? The o-ring is on the inside which should be what is stopping the liquid from escaping. Otherwise, wouldn't inside of the cooler where the insulation is fill up with the sweet nector?

Cooler weldless bulkhead kit
- Valve: Stainless 2 piece valve
- Inside fitting: Coupling - Standard option
- Cooler type: Standard 1.5" nipple
- Hose Barb - (for valve outlet): Stainless 1/2" barb

bulkhead.jpg

I always thought that the gasket on the inside kept the wort from seeping into the cooler shell.

if yours is set up the same way as mine you will be fine. On the other hand if you are using a stainless braid be careful what metal you are using on the inside as a coil. I just learned that one the hard way. Good luck!

Why is that?

Well i thought I read the zinc plating of the bits you find at big box stores can corrode and become dangerous?

if yours is set up the same way as mine you will be fine. On the other hand if you are using a stainless braid be careful what metal you are using on the inside as a coil. I just learned that one the hard way. Good luck!

Cool that's what I thought. I have a false bottom on the way, thanks for the tip though!

zinc on the outside is fine, you just have to worry about the stainless on the inside... however if you wanna go for bling, make sure it is all stainless! ;)
but yes, zinc on the outside is fine because it will not come into contact with your wort

The purpose of the zinc plating is to deter corrosion. That washer should never never come into contact with beer but due to the zinc on it they beer will be perfectly fine if it does. here is a little article to give you a little more insight on what the zinc does if you're interested.

http://www.azobuild.com/details.asp?ArticleID=8008

I am a chem major so I am prone to nerding out on these things. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back