Irish Stout First Brew Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IW396STL

Reaction score
I believe that we followed the instructions good. My initial hydrometer reading was were it needed to be. The primary fermentation bubbled the airlock vigorously after about 12 hrs and was pretty steady for about 3.5 days but hasn’t done anything from day 3.5 till 5. I took another hydrometer reading out of a beaker and it is where I should be at the end of the primary fermentation.

Could it be done after 3.5 days?

The wort was quickly cooled to 70-72 deg before yeast was added. The fermenter temp has been kept around 68-70 since start.

It can definitely be done that quickly. I would give it a few more days and take readings and see if they remain the same. After that either move to secondary (for clarity) or bottle it.

It can definitely be done that quickly. I would give it a few more days and take readings and see if they remain the same. After that either move to secondary (for clarity) or bottle it.

While my dry stouts usually finish primary fermentation with in a few days, I let them sit for at least three weeks in the primary, skip the secondary (highly flocculant yeast with no need for a bright tank) and bottle. From my POV, there is not need to rush your beer off the yeast...let it hang and condition for a bit. Even with a secondary, I usually let brews sit in the primary for at least a week for the yeast to have time to clean up and do their thing in mass.

While my dry stouts usually finish primary fermentation with in a few days, I let them sit for at least three weeks in the primary, skip the secondary (highly flocculant yeast with no need for a bright tank) and bottle. From my POV, there is not need to rush your beer off the yeast...let it hang and condition for a bit. Even with a secondary, I usually let brews sit in the primary for at least a week for the yeast to have time to clean up and do their thing in mass.

I agree with letting them sit around for a couple weeks also, but some people are impatient at first and want to get a taste of their first brew. If IW396STL can wait that long, and I hope he can, since this hobby is all about patience, I say do it, but it won't ruin the beer to bottle it after a week. It just won't be as tasty as it can be. Give him a few brews and he will find out that waiting around a little while makes all the difference.:rockin:

Wow, the Irish Stout was GREAT. I left it in the primary for about 15 days. ( Couldn't decide on priming and bottling or keging and use CO2) We went with CO2 and was very pleased that we made that decision before even trying our first batches. The Irish Stout was dark and creamy with almost exact characteristics of a Guinness. ( Without the Nitrogen) It Doesn’t have any off flavors and packs a nice little punch. It has great head retention and Belgian lace.

Thanks for the help!!!!

I think we now officially have the brewing bug. :)

Back