First ever attempt at brisket. Epic fail.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betarhoalphadelta

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Epic brisket fail.

(Actually, it had nothing to do with the brisket).

I got the new smoker delivered yesterday, got home from work, assembled it, rubbed the inside with canola oil and got it nice and cured in with high heat and smoke for a few hours. Dialed it back to 225 degrees, got the brisket in at 10:15 PM, and everything seemed to be going quite well. Set up the remote thermometer to alarm if the temp got too high or low, and I even got a couple hours shuteye!

In the morning, the wife and family all start waking up. My wife decided early to hit the gym, and then all hell broke loose.

First, I get an email from her while she's at the gym that one of the families that was going to be coming over was cancelling on us. That's not necessarily horrible, but an 11.5 lb brisket split among 4 adults and no child older than 6 probably is going to leave a LOT more leftovers than we know what to do with. So we start thinking about whether there's anyone else we should invite over to dinner...

Then, after she gets home from the gym, she starts complaining that she's not feeling well. She crawls back into bed and spent most of the day there (when she wasn't rushing to the bathroom). Hence, we cancelled with the other family, and nobody ate brisket.

Just as the meat was starting to look really good, climbing up to about 180 degrees out of the stall, I took it off the grill and used the method in the below link to try to preserve it.

1) Take off at 180.
2) Wrap in heavy-duty foil.
3) Put into a watertight bag.
4) Put into a beverage cooler submerged under LOTS of ice for several hours to rapidly cool the meat external and internal.
5) Transfer to fridge.
6) Tomorrow (when my in-laws are coming), bake while still in foil at 310 deg until meat reaches >200 deg internal temp.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/cook_today_serve_tomorrow.html

I had such high hopes. It's possible based on what they say at the above link about this method, that I might still end up with something tasty. But I won't know until I do another one whether my first attempt was anything like what a brisket *should* be, because it was aborted before it could finish...

And then my Boilermakers lost to Notre Dame. I was expecting us to get blown out. Instead, we were competitive, up to and including leading to start the 4th quarter. Then, as usual, Purdue ripped my heart out.

What a rotten day.

Well that sucks. Hope your wife is feeling better (and good on her, hitting the gym).

Me, I'd finish cooking that brisket, then slice and put in vacuum bags. I regularly cook meat (like tonight) that I know won't be eaten for a while. Foodsaver, then freezer. Then boil the foodsaver bag to get it back to it's rightful juiciness.

Sorry about your day. Everything about your triage sounds good. I'm not sure about the reheat temp, though. >200 internal sounds high to me. I'm no brisket expert, but that's pretty hot for meat.

Best of luck with the meat, and the in-laws!

Sorry about your day. Everything about your triage sounds good. I'm not sure about the reheat temp, though. >200 internal sounds high to me. I'm no brisket expert, but that's pretty hot for meat.

Best of luck with the meat, and the in-laws!

I can't cook brisket to a temp. That never works. You need to test for texture by pushing a temp probe into it. It should glide in like butter. If it is hard to push in, just leave it.

passedpawn said:
I can't cook brisket to a temp. That never works. You need to test for texture by pushing a temp probe into it. It should glide in like butter. If it is hard to push in, just leave it.

BBQ is a touchy feely sport and I agree with you passed pawn.

To the OP... If you have the point with your flat you could make burnt ends.

To the OP... If you have the point with your flat you could make burnt ends.

I think that's what I'm going to do... Cut off the point and the very ends of the flat, chop into chunks and go the burnt ends route.

I think I'll then separate the flat into two pieces, wrap in foil, and have those to cook separately (or maybe send part of the flat to the neighbors to cook)...

Exactly what we do, especially with brisket. Everything getting frozen goes in FS bags. Just boil and serve. Even fresh corn.

Burgers work great, too! Why heat up the grill for a few burgers, fill the grill!

I bought 5# of ground chuck yesterday, grilled up 10 burgers, and put all of them immediately into bags. Didn't even eat one. Now frozen and ready for kiddies to boil during the week.

(What I did make while doing the burgs was a nice flank steak, then sliced up for carne asada with a great zesty salsa I whipped up and some corn tortilla, with mexican rice and black beans on the side. ).

Burgers work great, too! Why heat up the grill for a few burgers, fill the grill!

I bought 5# of ground chuck yesterday, grilled up 10 burgers, and put all of them immediately into bags. Didn't even eat one. Now frozen and ready for kiddies to boil during the week.

(What I did make while doing the burgs was a nice flank steak, then sliced up for carne asada with a great zesty salsa I whipped up and some corn tortilla, with mexican rice and black beans on the side. ).

Forgive my ignorance, but you boil burgers? I just nuke my leftovers and they're great. Am I missing out? Wouldn't the boil water take away some of the good flavorful juice that I worked so hard to sear into my burger?

Forgive my ignorance, but you boil burgers? I just nuke my leftovers and they're great. Am I missing out? Wouldn't the boil water take away some of the good flavorful juice that I worked so hard to sear into my burger?

Yea, sorry, I didn't explain. I seal those burgers in vacuum bags (Foodsaver). To reheat, drop the UNOPENED bag in a pot of water and boil for 10 minutes. Then, cut open bag and a nice juicy burger falls out, looking and tasting exactly like when you put it in the bag.

I have 3 kids that do this for lunches, etc.

Yea, sorry, I didn't explain. I seal those burgers in vacuum bags (Foodsaver). To reheat, drop the UNOPENED bag in a pot of water and boil for 10 minutes. Then, cut open bag and a nice juicy burger falls out, looking and tasting exactly like when you put it in the bag.

I have 3 kids that do this for lunches, etc.

Ahh. Thanks for the explanation. Great idea. I may have to bug Santa for a Foodsaver.

Your brisket needs to get up to 205-210 degrees, and it needs to get there very, very, very, very slowly. We're talking Steven Hawking reading War and Peace out loud slowly.

A 300 heat is too hot. It will make for tougher meat.

Let's see-my brisket recipe call for "first pour 6oz Jack Daniels into chef".

I just put them on the smoker and keep the heat below 225. It's funny-but suddenly a miracle occurs and it becomes tender. You can ballpark it-but I'm generally talking 12 to 14 to maybe 20 hrs of watching that thing. A lot of smokers will load up with ash after that much time so it pays to have a game plan to shovel some stuff out of the fire box from time to time-even if it means taking some hot coals with the ash. If you get to much ash in there-hard to maintain heat evenly. Used to do a great turkey breast on one of those old brinkman "bullet" smokers-but the key was to pull the fire pan and dump after about 4-5 hrs. Turkey breast was about a 7-8 hour affair on the brinkman.

Anyway-it's a lot like brewing beer-even temps-wait a while-pays off in spades. Right now its mullet season on the gulf-did 8 yesterday on my new smoker-very pleased-those only take an hour and a half at 200 for perfect Biloxi bacon!

And as far as advise-Meathead on amazingribs.com good guy great site!

Well, I am ready to try again. Doing an overnight to make a brisket for my in-laws on Thanksgiving, then another for a college football party I'm throwing on Dec 7. So I finally have time to do it right.

How was it?

Overall, good. The burnt ends were nice, and the portion of the flat underneath the point was moist and flavorful. The portion of the flat on the opposite side was dry, though. I also think I may have over-seasoned a bit, so it was saltier than I'd like.

The more I get used to my cooker, the more I have realized that for some reason my cooks tend to take longer and dry out meat to a greater extend than I expect. I've tried to avoid foiling meat in general, but I think that my next test of a brisket (which is this weekend actually) will be to include the crutch to retain more moisture.

I seem to get almost 2 hrs/lb cook times on large chunks of meat, which I think contributes to dryness. I think I can do better by foiling after I reach IT of 160 or so.

This weekend I'm having friends over for a college football extravaganza. The menu will include smoked fatties, ABTs (bacon-wrapped jalapeno), my wife's crock pot meatballs, and nachos... That's just for the lunch/afternoon snacking. The evening games will include Texas chili, garlic/cheese mashed cauliflower, cole slaw and brisket. Along with 6 kegs of homebrew on tap ;-)

Back