Caribou Slobber additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing NB's Caribou Slobber, and was wandering if anyone has any experience with this kit and additions to it. I would like to have a smooth, easy drinking beer in about a month or so. Thanks

I was going to brew this tonite but had something come up and will try later this week. I plan on following the recipe as it's rated pretty high by users so I'm not going to vary anything.

Assuming you're a relatively new brewer, DON'T MESS WITH IT. Focus on process first. Then focus on process second. And thirdly, focus again on process.

Once you have a few brews under your belt, and you have some sense of what different ingredients actually do to a beer, then you should start tweaking established recipes. The Caribou Slobber kit is fantastic as is (I've made it myself). Without a good understanding of ingredients and how they effect a beer, you're more likely to make it worse if you modify it right now.

Just my opinion...

evrose said:
Assuming you're a relatively new brewer, DON'T MESS WITH IT. Focus on process first. Then focus on process second. And thirdly, focus again on process.

Once you have a few brews under your belt, and you have some sense of what different ingredients actually do to a beer, then you should start tweaking established recipes. The Caribou Slobber kit is fantastic as is (I've made it myself). Without a good understanding of ingredients and how they effect a beer, you're more likely to make it worse if you modify it right now.

Just my opinion...

Definitely agree on this one as well as any recipe when starting out. New brewers should stick to well established kits to get the process down. You wil then have the confidence to try new things later. It's not like this will be your only time brewing so follow the recipe exactly and enjoy.

Definitely agree on this one as well as any recipe when starting out. New brewers should stick to well established kits to get the process down. You wil then have the confidence to try new things later. It's not like this will be your only time brewing so follow the recipe exactly and enjoy.

I've brewed one Midwest Supplies Irish Red Ale strictly to the instructions. Now I have a Austin Homebrew Double Chocolate Stout that I added a .5lb of lactose to during the last 5 minutes of the boil. Now I have a Pumpkin Ale that I'm tweaking by adding a few more spices to make it like pumpkin pie (the kit only included brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg).

Basically what I'm getting at is yes it's a great idea to follow the directions at first, but don't be afraid to experiment. I lurk here, Google what I don't know, and use a variety of consulting resources (i.e. books) to get an idea of what to use and how much. I feel as though I've learned much quicker since I'm not afraid to tweak, and I've already got my own from-scratch American Pale Ale recipe that I'm making soon with some spicy Hatch Chiles :rockin:

Either way, you still make beer! Confidence is all that's needed along with having no fears for making mistakes. It's surprising to me how forgiving making beer is. Sometimes you make mistakes and it comes out great and other times you do things perfectly well and s h i t happens!

I have made two previous batches, the first was a wheat beer that I added orange zest and some coriander to. The second was a brown ale that I did per instructions. I guess a better question would have been : should I add anything to the kit, or is it fine just the way it is.

it seems like its going to taste great. but mine is carbing up slowly. my brewers best kits seem to carb up in about 3 weeks.. the caribou slobber is at 4 weeks and only seems to be about 1/2 way carbed up. strange because i do everything the same. priming sugar, temp for carbing is around 75deg, i mix sugar well when bottling. i just dont understand why this kit is taking so long to carb, i mean its carbing.. just slowly.

I've brewed one Midwest Supplies Irish Red Ale strictly to the instructions. Now I have a Austin Homebrew Double Chocolate Stout that I added a .5lb of lactose to during the last 5 minutes of the boil. Now I have a Pumpkin Ale that I'm tweaking by adding a few more spices to make it like pumpkin pie (the kit only included brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg).

Basically what I'm getting at is yes it's a great idea to follow the directions at first, but don't be afraid to experiment. I lurk here, Google what I don't know, and use a variety of consulting resources (i.e. books) to get an idea of what to use and how much. I feel as though I've learned much quicker since I'm not afraid to tweak, and I've already got my own from-scratch American Pale Ale recipe that I'm making soon with some spicy Hatch Chiles :rockin:

Spot on...... I do the same thing. I also bought a 2gallon fermenter and experiment with that. Easier to pour out two gallons than 5. I added roasted pecans and some vanilla to my caribou slobber and it was one of the best loved at our last Christmas party. Experiment and have fun!

V

I have a keg of caribou slobber on picnic tap in the kegerator right now. Taste great, however I have been combining it with NB tongue splitter that I dry hopped for to long and has a very strong lingering bitterness. The 50/50 mix is really very good. Starts off with the sweetness and flavors of the brown ale, but finishes like an IPA. I kind of like it.

I brewed the Slobber 2 times. Bottled one and kegged the other. I had a family picnic on July 14th and the keg of Slobber was drained along with a keg of Cherry Wheat. I got rave reviews on both and maybe some future home brewers to boot. Just make it the way it is and be patient like they tell you. This one takes a few weeks longer to age just right.

Back