Nutella english brown ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
I am thinking about putting together an English brown ale with nutella. I love nutella, but I have a couple concerned with actually using it in my brew. One it contains skim milk, veg oil, and fats from coco. Will this small amount of fat destroy my head retention? Second, I am not 100% sure if it has some sort of preservatives in it, an I know that could bring havoc down on the yeasties! I guess I am asking would it work?, or am I just better off using ground hazelnut, and coco powder? Thanks for your help guys!

Nutella is awesome, but if it was my brew I would go with the hazelnut and coco. That way I could control the ingredients more than if I was using a processed food product. I say this of course with absolutely no experience brewing with nutella.

I love the idea, but I agree with ulfada. I have some hazelnuts in the freezer, leftover from the holidays. I plan on using them in a brew.. One way or another!

Could you not make a nut brown ale and add cocoa powder?

I worked at a place that had nut brown ale brewed for it specially and it tasted just like hazel nuts

So Moorem04 did you end up brewing with Hazelnut and Coco Powder. I've been thinking about brewing with Nutella also

I can't stand the taste of hazelnut, but maybe a good way to get it into your beer would be with some Frangelico liqueur or hazelnut Torani. Dumping nutella or peanut butter in your beer sounds like a disaster.

Frangelico also has cocoa in it.

I'm actually going to just use hazelnut extract from AustinHB.. I'm placing the order on monday as a matter of fact! I like your ideas though MisterTipsy. I'll have to keep them in mind!

I actually made a hazelnut brown ale about a month ago. I can't speak for the extract at Austin HB having never tried it. I ordered mine elsewhere. But when I added the extract to the beer in the bottling bucket the smell was great throughout the whole bottling process. The base beer I made had a roasted nut taste already so it accented the hazelnut even more. I too love nutella so I may have to try a hazelnut and chocolate beer one day.

How about some cacao nibs in the secondary for a week or two, then hazelnut extract at bottle/kegging? My wife loves Nutella. Might have to give this a shot.

Lurkmoar said:
So Moorem04 did you end up brewing with Hazelnut and Coco Powder. I've been thinking about brewing with Nutella also

I never did..... In fact I took a couple month break from brewing because of my schedule.... I just picked up the grain bill for a Bavarian Hefe that I intend on brewing this next weekend..... I am going to maybe attempt the nutella brown ale in August so it would be ready for fall.... If I brew this I will probably do a PM and post the recipe up.

There is a great chocolate hazelnut porter in brewing classic styles (Zainasheff, Palmer ). I think it would have everything you are looking for. Let me know if you don't have access to the book I can post the recipe.

I just brewed (my version/recipe) a brown ale early this morning. Used the hopville calculator and got the green check mark for correct style. These are the grains I used in an extract/specialty grain brew:

• 8 oz Crystal Malt 60L
• 6 oz Crisp Chocolate Malt
• 6 oz Weyermann’s Roasted Barley

And the wort was as black as thick black coffee! Looks more like a stout if you ask me. All went well (no serious mistakes I don't think, lol) and I'm excited to see how it turns out. Cheers.

Back