Is my brewery name lame???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangine77

Reaction score
Be honest. When I built the bar in my basement a few years ago, my friends started calling it the Man Cave. I thought it was a cool name because I didn't realize what a common expression that is.

Now I see that it is a really common term. Is Man Cave Brewing a lame name?

Should I come up with something more unique???

If it seems lame to you, then try a simple reversal of the words. Man = Lady. Cave = hole. So, I suggest lady hol...... nah, that won't work, go with whatever feels right, but Man Cave? Yeah, it's a bit obvious, sorry :(

I'm going to have to agree with the Gnome and to add insult to injury you sig is incorrect. I'm pretty sure Dean Martin is the one who coined that phrase.

I don't think it's lame, but I don't like the way it more or less exactly fails to roll off the tongue. If in doing what Laughing Gnome suggests you find that simply reversing the order of the words involved to produce "Cave Man Brewing" sounds better to your ear, then I would try that.

By the way, I too am performing a linguistic experiment of dubious nature, wherein I attempt to use far more words than are truly necessary or desirable in order to attempt the communication of the desired point - as you may or may not have already noticed.

I'm not one to judge. Mine is named after my wife's obsession with Fluffy White lapdogs.

Man Cave is pretty generic though... isn't there a show on DIY TV called "Man Cave"?

Beer Cave Brewing sounds nice and has a bit of alliteration to it. Just try not to tie in something with "Spelunking" in a slogan, you may get strange looks.

I agree it's a lame name. Try to think of something more distinctive that reflects your personality.

To tell the truth it makes me think of Goatse (don't ask if you don't know) but the name in and of itself is a good one.

I totally agree with everyone. I just needed confirmation. Now the task of coming up with something cool and unique.

I know it's dorky but it would be fun to come up with a fun name and logo to put down in the bar.

Northwestern PA doesn't have a lot of unique aspects so I'll have to dig into family ideas. Thanks for the honest feedback!

I know it's dorky but it would be fun to come up with a fun name and logo to put down in the bar.

Northwestern PA doesn't have a lot of unique aspects so I'll have to dig into family ideas. Thanks for the honest feedback!

It ain't dorky (Well, maybe it is) But it's all part of the fun! It doesn't need to be funny or manly, it just needs to be personal IMO. :)

Ok to slightly highjack this thread...

I'm torn between using

"Cold, Dead Hands Brewery" and "Cold Hands Brewery"

Cold,Dead Hands comes from a quote from Charlston Heston "You can have my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands." and also reflects a lot about how I feel with our second amendment rights. But I just don't think it flows off the tongue well.

Cold Hands would be a reference to not only the quote above, but also that I spent a couple years living in the upper peninsula of Michigan, and also that my wife always has cold hand she puts against me! The logo/theme will still be the same either way, I just think it sounds better.

I hope the logo will be an early settler sort of guy holding a musket in winter in front of a snow covered mountain. Most of the labels I hope to have U.S. Historical figures (Jefferson, Edison, Adams etc.)

Ok to slightly highjack this thread...

I'm torn between using

"Cold, Dead Hands Brewery" and "Cold Hands Brewery"

Cold,Dead Hands comes from a quote from Charlston Heston "You can have my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands." and also reflects a lot about how I feel with our second amendment rights. But I just don't think it flows off the tongue well.

Cold Hands would be a reference to not only the quote above, but also that I spent a couple years living in the upper peninsula of Michigan, and also that my wife always has cold hand she puts against me! The logo/theme will still be the same either way, I just think it sounds better.

I hope the logo will be an early settler sort of guy holding a musket in winter in front of a snow covered mountain. Most of the labels I hope to have U.S. Historical figures (Jefferson, Edison, Adams etc.)

Cold Hands is a great idea! Use Cold Dead Hands for your Halloween brew. :D

All of these good ideas, and nothing is coming to me. I'll have to spend some time to really figure this out and get it right. I'm really into golf, so I might go that route.

I was already going to start making a beer for the 4 majors based on where they are held each year.

All of these good ideas, and nothing is coming to me. I'll have to spend some time to really figure this out and get it right. I'm really into golf, so I might go that route.

I was already going to start making a beer for the 4 majors based on where they are held each year.

Golf could be useful, what else are you in to? I think it helps to know your passions and interests, then people can throw out names and something might stick! As for me I know nill about golf so..

Eagle Brewery & Alehouse
(Or Eagle Brewery & House of Ill Repute)
Fairway Brewery
12th hole brewery (or some hole where something cool happened for you)

Below Par Brewery (since being below par in golf is good, bad elsewhere....)

Have you considered "Swing Oil"?

Golf could be useful, what else are you in to? I think it helps to know your passions and interests, then people can throw out names and something might stick! As for me I know nill about golf so..

Eagle Brewery & Alehouse
(Or Eagle Brewery & House of Ill Repute)
Fairway Brewery
12th hole brewery (or some hole where something cool happened for you)

Below Par Brewery (since being below par in golf is good, bad elsewhere....)

I used to be a "Phish head" back in the day. I still dig them a lot. I might find a good song title to make into a cool name or logo.

Sand Trap Brewery
Bump N Run Brew Haus
Emerald Links Brew House
Penn Cross Brewery

or my favorite......

15th Club Brewery

(for you non golfers, you can only carry 14 clubs in tourneys, therefore your fifteenth club would be a bottle of delicious homebrew!)

Yinzerbrew! Make up some sweet story about how it was your ancestor's surname in the old country or something.

Something simple like backnine brewery might be good, then beers named things like eagle putt porter, sand trap stout, long ball IPA, 1wood weizen, tee shot tripel...

edit: If you ask me though, your handle is what really needs a re-think. Hopefully it's your last name or something so I really feel like an ass, but it's only one vowel swap away from being mangina.

Yinzerbrew! Make up some sweet story about how it was your ancestor's surname in the old country or something.

Something simple like backnine brewery might be good, then beers named things like eagle putt porter, sand trap stout, long ball IPA, 1wood weizen, tee shot tripel...

edit: If you ask me though, your handle is what really needs a re-think. Hopefully it's your last name or something so I really feel like an ass, but it's only one vowel swap away from being mangina.

It is my last name. But you're right. I should come up with a better handle also. It'll have to go along with the brewery name.

The golf route is a good path, but look into other more personal brew related items too. ie, I ferment and store everything in my furnace room, Hence my name.

My sons' names are Michael and Angelo.

I could go with Michaelangelo Brewing Co. I realize the real spelling is Michelangelo.

Doesn't roll off the tongue though huh?

So going with the golf theme, what do you think of

Albatross Brewing Company (ABC)

For non-golfers, an albatross is the name for three under par on a hole. Named that because this rarely happens, and the Albatross is a rare bird.

Might work, right? I could possibly add a color before Albatross too.

When in doubt, look to your username.

"MANGINA BREWING" Wooooot!

[edit: should have looked at the previous page. already covered it. I still think "mangina" would be an awesome name.]

My favorites I've seen so far.....

Divided Sky Brew Co. and Lame Name Brew Co.

So I'm pretty sure that I want to go with Albatross Brewing Co. (ABC)

I could do the logo with the bird and/or the plane. Anyone feel like getting creative this weekend. I've messed with GIMP,Inkscape, you name it and I don't feel like I could make a cool enough logo. There are some free logo design sites that I haven't tried yet.

It would be sweet to have a permanent logo to put on things in my bar. If no one feels like doing this for free (I don't blame you), can you recommend anyone on HBT that is talented and relatively cheap ( by relatively, I mean REALLY cheap.

Back