Clear bottles ok for hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighand

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had someone give me around 100 old Corona bottles and I really want to figure out a way to avoid buying more brown bottles so I have a question. I've read that the reaction of hops with the light cause the skunking flavor when you use clear bottles. If you brew something like a hefewiezen that does not have a lot of hops, will your beer still become skunky if you use clear bottles?

Although this is my first post, I have spent a ton of time reading on this forum and appreciate everyone helping us newbies. So THANK YOU :mug::mug::mug:

I don't know if a hefe would be affected differently from light than other types of beer. But what I do know is that a bottle being clear doesn't make a difference if you just simply keep the bottle out of the sun and some other forms of light. I'd bet that you condition your beer in some sort of cardboard case or something like that. That alone gives you some protection from harmful light. Then you might normally condition and maybe even store the bottles out of direct light as well. If you do all of that then the type of glass shouldn't matter.

Just keep it out of the sun, as you've read, and you'll be fine. I would think that the rule would apply across the board on skunking. Even though there are less hops, there are still hops in it.

I agree with the others; keep them covered up and you should be good.

I'd do a dry run capping a corona with your existing capper to see how it works *before* you've got 5gals primed in the bottling bucket. There are sporadic reports that Coronas are difficult to cap with some wing cappers.

I used clear bottles and I found that I really enjoyed being able to see the beer in the bottle. Naturally it's better to stick to less bitter styles, but I had no problems. The problems start when you get a fridge with a clear glass door and a fluorescent light inside like a bar.

I agree with the others; keep them covered up and you should be good.

I'd do a dry run capping a corona with your existing capper to see how it works *before* you've got 5gals primed in the bottling bucket. There are sporadic reports that Coronas are difficult to cap with some wing cappers.
+1 I found this out the hard way with 21 full of fresh beer & had to transfer it to other bottles.The ring that a wing capper grabs on a bottle is higher on corona ,modela, & a few other bottles and the wing capper is too high up on the neck to fully crimp it down.Look at one and compare it to an american crown capped bottle and you'll start to recognize the ones you can and can't cap w/ a wing capper.I now have a benchtop capper so it doesn't matter any more.:mug:I actually bottle a few in clear every batch to see how they are clearing and how the color looks.

+1 I found this out the hard way with 21 full of fresh beer & had to transfer it to other bottles.The ring that a wing capper grabs on a bottle is higher on corona ,modela, & a few other bottles and the wing capper is too high up on the neck to fully crimp it down.Look at one and compare it to an american crown capped bottle and you'll start to recognize the ones you can and can't cap w/ a wing capper.I now have a benchtop capper so it doesn't matter any more.:mug:I actually bottle a few in clear every batch to see how they are clearing and how the color looks.

Great, thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts

Back