Super Fast Wort Cooling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splobucket

Reaction score
I wanted to throw this question out there. What's the fastest you guys have been able to cool your wort? And what do you use? I get mine down to 90 in about 15 minutes using an immersion chiller and my pool...
Potinpool.JPG

Well, when the ground water is in it's "normal" range up here (aka, when the ground water isn't like bath water) I've gotten 5.5 gallons of boiling hot wort to ~65F in about 8 minutes with my [40] plate chiller. I look forward to seeing how fast it chills in the winter time. :D

I think it's a better question to ask how fast to safe yeast pitching temps... Which 90F isn't for most brews.

I brought 5.5 gallons from a boil to 68°F in 14 minutes last Sunday recirculating around my IC.

I love my bedrock well! 55°F water no matter the time of year :D

Cheers!

It looks like your water is going through the chiller too quickly (based on that jet) to allow heat transfer. Try slowing your water flow and o bet your time will improve.

It looks like your water is going through the chiller too quickly (based on that jet) to allow heat transfer. Try slowing your water flow and o bet your time will improve.

I think he attached a sprayer to the end of that which would let pressure build. Kind of like a fire hose that allows a constant stream even if water pressure is low inside of it.

3/8" copper immersion chiller with a 5gal batch and having the tap open at a slow pace is around 10mins from boil to 85F (with me stirring)

That's not quite true...he'd be more efficient with his water usage, but slowing down the water flow would not improve cooling time.

At really high flow rates, the temp rise in the cooling water is less because of how fast it's going through, but the total heat transfer is greater because you maintain a higher temperature differential across the entire coil.

just under 7 minutes from boil to 70, middle of a hot iowa summer, there was condensation on the outside of the pot when I got done transfering to the fermenter.

3 coil 50' 3/8" coper IC

Back