Witbier Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs400
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Recipe: Belgian Wit
Brewer: BierMuncher
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (47.0) Awesome taste. Add a slice of orange and people will be asking how you bought a keg of Blue Moon.Distinctive, light wheat beer with a hint of spice. The head is very white and lasts a long time. This is a light, spicy session ale. Perfect for the summer.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.20 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM
Belgian_Wit_Color.jpg
Estimated IBU: 17.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Pale Malt Crisp (UK) (3.0 SRM)
4.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (White Labs #400)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 3.50 gal of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 3.00 gal of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F 10 min
Belgian_Wit_Ratio.jpg

Belgian_Wit_1.JPG

Attachments

• Belgian_Wit_2.JPG
    Belgian_Wit_2.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 42,403
I just got an activator pack of 3942 Belgian Wheat yeast.

I am going to brew this tomorrow with that yeast. The Wyeast brochure says "Estery, low phenol producing yeast from [a] small Belgian brewery. Apple, bubble gum and plum aromas with a dry but fruity finish."

I love fruity beers. I love wheat beers. This could be heaven.

Please tell me more about the coriander and the orange. How are they prepared ?

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I can't help but notice that this is a wheat beer and there isn't an enzyme or protein rest. Should there be ? What would adding a rest do to the beers taste, head, efficiency, etc ?

Thanks.

So I have made a hefeweizen, it is in the secondary leaving my primary empty. . .

After tasting the hefe I think it will go fast ( I have too many friends who like hefeweizen).
I had originally intended to make a lager next but I can't wait 5-7 weeks! My other options is a Kolsch, but I don't know still a cold conditioning time investment. I was thinking of getting another ale in the works first and this seems to very tasty (and looks great too).

I have been an extract+specialty brewer for 3 batches so far and am looking to graduate to partial mashing. I was hoping you could help me convert. I was going to try myslef and see what people thought, but I have no clue where to start.

Thanks.

Beerrific said:
...this seems to very tasty (and looks great too).

I have been an extract+specialty brewer for 3 batches so far and am looking to graduate to partial mashing. I was hoping you could help me convert. I was going to try myslef and see what people thought, but I have no clue where to start.

Thanks.
This should be a good base:
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)

1.49 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)

0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast #3944 or White Labs WLP400) Definitely want a Belgian Wit yeast though.

Mash your flaked wheat at 155 degrees for 60-75 minutes (the longer will up the efficiency and ABV%)

Strain the wheat grains out and bring wort to boil, add extracts and you know the rest...

Thanks, that is actually close to what I was thinking.

Do you think White Labs or Wyeast is better? I have always used Wyeast Activator.

I tend to buy from AHS. They sell a Blue Moon clone, I wish I knew what they included in their mini-mash kit...it is a few dollars cheaper than if buy the ingredients you listed.

Boiled this up yesterday thanks for the recipe muncher cant wait for a few weeks to taste it. That flaked wheat gave me a hell of time with my braid! IT increased my brew session by about an hour or two, it was alright though i think i was drunk by that point anyways.

sailsandskates said:
Sample more heffies and you will see that Blue Moon is NOT special!

Blue moon is a pretty good beer and at a decent price, it has a very distinctive taste and you can get it [almost] anywhere.

With all the over priced crap beer out there I'd say that IS special.

The other side to this is that most belgian whites (or wits, most definitely not a hefe although similar) are pretty much the same basic recipe, its just skill and mild changes in recipe that make the differences. I modified this recipe 3 weeks ago (damn thing is still fermenting...) and I doubt it will taste much like blue moon other than the fact that it is a wit...

oh, and you are all aware that Blue Moon is made by coors? I still buy it every once in a while, and they now have seasonal blue moons...haven't tried them yet.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
oh, and you are all aware that Blue Moon is made by coors?
Yup. Didn't believe it when I first read that, but. . .

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I still buy it every once in a while, and they now have seasonal blue moons...haven't tried them yet.

I tried their autumn or pumpkin one. It wasn't that good, but I am not a fan of pumpkin spice type beers.

Beerrific said:
Yup. Didn't believe it when I first read that, but. . .

I tried their autumn or pumpkin one. It wasn't that good, but I am not a fan of pumpkin spice type beers.

The spring one is flavored with kaffir lime leaves, funny b.c I just added them to my saison.

I would like to send cudos out to BierMuncher for this recipe!:mug:
I just bottled 5 gallons of this and the aroma is out of this world. I had never had a Blue Moon until this past weekend and really enjoyed the flavor. I could not keep from smelling the beer while I bottled it.
If this turns out to taste as good as it smells then I will definitely be making many more in the future.:ban:

hey, just wondering. My LHBS does not store any flaked wheat (for all grain) so I was wondering which of these would be a good sub?

Wheat (Dark) Malt

Wheat (Pale) Malt

Wheat (Roast/Chocolate) Malt

Wheat (Torrified) Malt

or just plain Wheat malt.... ?

:mug:

Kadmium said:
hey, just wondering. My LHBS does not store any flaked wheat (for all grain) so I was wondering which of these would be a good sub?

Wheat (Dark) Malt

Wheat (Pale) Malt

Wheat (Roast/Chocolate) Malt

Wheat (Torrified) Malt

or just plain Wheat malt.... ?

The Torrified Wheat Malt would be the best of the above. It's commonly used as a substitute when raw wheat is unavailable.

well, I have 5 gallons of this baby bubbling away in the cellar as we speak. Cannot wait to try this baby out. It smells bloody fantastic and I cannot wait for it!

I'm sorry, but I'm completely new to this.

From what I've gathered, the "1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (White Labs #400)" is a yeast, correct?

Can anyone please write up some directions? Once again, sorry for the newbie post. We all have to start somewhere. :D

-Tahleel

tahleel said:
I'm sorry, but I'm completely new to this.

From what I've gathered, the "1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (White Labs #400)" is a yeast, correct?

Can anyone please write up some directions? Once again, sorry for the newbie post. We all have to start somewhere. :D

-Tahleel
Right, White Labs and Wyeast are the brand names for liquid yeasts. the White Labs 40 is a Belgian strain used for Belgian Wits.

If you're following the extract version of this recipe, I'd suggest spending some time in the "Extract Brewing" or "Beginners Forum" with questions about the overall brewing process. The recipe below is pretty basic but we try to keep the recipe section focused on recipes and feedback rather than "how to" discussions.

Hope this helps.

BierMuncher said:
Right, White Labs and Wyeast are the brand names for liquid yeasts. the White Labs 40 is a Belgian strain used for Belgian Wits.

If you're following the extract version of this recipe, I'd suggest spending some time in the "Extract Brewing" or "Beginners Forum" with questions about the overall brewing process. The recipe below is pretty basic but we try to keep the recipe section focused on recipes and feedback rather than "how to" discussions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks BierMuncher! Again, this forum is great, its not like any other forum. No one bashes newbs like me. :rockin: I was just on the Midwest Home Brew Supply store, and I was searching for White Labs, and it came up as almost $25. :confused:

I'm assuming that its the whole package, including the malt extract, orange peel, sugar, etc:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3502

So instead of getting that, I should get this:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6499

Correct?

-Tahleel

Alright, this is the PM I'm going to try;

Recipe: Töperwein Blue Moon Rising
Brewer: Töpperwein Brewery
Asst Brewer:
Style: Witbier
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 13.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
1 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 14.29 %
1 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 14.29 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 35.71 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 35.71 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 13.9 IBU
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 6.25 qt of water at 164.9 F 150.0 F

That looks like a good partial mash, I was wondering if it was necessary to have equal parts 2-row and wheat malt in order to obtain a good conversion rate. Would it be possible to lower the 2-row to 1lb and increase the wheat to 3 lbs. I wish I had the money right now to convert to an all grain system...

ltcannon said:
That looks like a good partial mash, I was wondering if it was necessary to have equal parts 2-row and wheat malt in order to obtain a good conversion rate. Would it be possible to lower the 2-row to 1lb and increase the wheat to 3 lbs. I wish I had the money right now to convert to an all grain system...
The wheat has a lower conversion rate than the 2-row. I'd say if you're going to go down to 1# of 2-row, raise your wheat to 3.5-4 #'s.

BierMuncher - thanks for the recipe - just did it this weekend. But I must say that as I was brewing - I didn't fully understand the Mash schedule.

I have a 5 gal igloo cooler mash tun - It says to heat 3.5 gals to 166F and then it states 154F for 60 minutes - when I heat to 166F and add to my grain - the temp stayed at about 160 - 162 degrees for the 60 minute mash! Is there a problem for being 6-8 degrees warmer? Or is that a temp range?

Then "Mash Out" - is that simply sparge water? To keep it at the 168F temp - I heated to 170F - and held that for 10 Minutes.

Oh, and my OG ended up being 1.042 - .006 higher than yours. Good/bad? I'm still green and learning!

Thanks!

ajwaka said:
BierMuncher - thanks for the recipe - just did it this weekend. But I must say that as I was brewing - I didn't fully understand the Mash schedule.

I have a 5 gal igloo cooler mash tun - It says to heat 3.5 gals to 166F and then it states 154F for 60 minutes - when I heat to 166F and add to my grain - the temp stayed at about 160 - 162 degrees for the 60 minute mash! Is there a problem for being 6-8 degrees warmer? Or is that a temp range?

Then "Mash Out" - is that simply sparge water? To keep it at the 168F temp - I heated to 170F - and held that for 10 Minutes.

Oh, and my OG ended up being 1.042 - .006 higher than yours. Good/bad? I'm still green and learning!

Thanks!
You'll be just fine. The 160-162 is at the high end but with half the grain bill in theform of flaked wheat...the chance of the beer being too "malty" is slim.

If you only lost 6 degrees when adding the water to your grains...that's pretty low loss. Did you get the temp in different areas of the mash. Sometimes you'll get hot pockets.

In either case...the temp will be fine and a higher gravity is surely no problem.

Sounds like you're on your way to a nice 4.5% belgian.

Yo... Muncher... I am gonna brew this in the next day or two... what did you use for a fermentation temp? I don't remember seeing that in the notes.

So has anyone brewed this with Wyeast 3942 instead of 3944? I was only able to get 3942 at my LHBS, and I am going to go ahead and brew with it, but I am curious if anyone has used BOTH, at different times, and found any major differences in the final product.

rabidgerbil said:
Yo... Muncher... I am gonna brew this in the next day or two... what did you use for a fermentation temp? I don't remember seeing that in the notes.
I think this will ferment well at the 68-70 range....even higher with a Belgian yeast.

I had to toss up between the 42 and 44 so don't worry about it.

Happy brewing...

BierMuncher said:
I think this will ferment well at the 68-70 range....even higher with a Belgian yeast.

I had to toss up between the 42 and 44 so don't worry about it.

Happy brewing...

Thanks man... now that I have a way to accurately control my fermentation temps, I am trying to be more accurate with that type of thing.

Hey BM

Can I use basic 2-row for the base malt on this?

Well I am sure I "CAN" ... but ...thoughts?

tgrier said:
Hey BM

Can I use basic 2-row for the base malt on this?

Well I am sure I "CAN" ... but ...thoughts?
Sure. The wit tends to be on the malty side anyway with low IBU's.

You may want to kick up the coriander just a bit to counter the extra maltiness.

Brewing this up tonight!..

Looking forward to it...

Thanks again for the recipe BM.

I will let you know how it comes out.

Ingredients:
------------
1 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 14.29 %
1 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 14.29 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 35.71 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 35.71 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 13.9 IBU
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

This is pretty much the recipe I am going with this weekend except I am sticking to the EKG and using 3# pale malt and 3# Flaked wheat.

How did this PM work out for you?

I'm hoping to brew this weekend. but, I have a few ?s

1) I just noticed that the recipe doesn't mention irish moss. Should I use any?

2) On my package of coriander seeds it says that they should be ground. How coarsely should I do this? (I'll probably be doing this with a hammer so my options are leaving them as is, beating them up a little bit, or turning them to dust.)

PhilMcRevis said:
I'm hoping to brew this weekend. but, I have a few ?s

1) I just noticed that the recipe doesn't mention irish moss. Should I use any?

2) On my package of coriander seeds it says that they should be ground. How coarsely should I do this? (I'll probably be doing this with a hammer so my options are leaving them as is, beating them up a little bit, or turning them to dust.)
No irish moss for a with recipe. Cloudy (yeasty) is good.

Crush those coriander or you won't get any flavor out of them.

You can also use a beer bottle the way you would a rolling pin to crush them up.

Back