hard cider from apple juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C3Candy

Reaction score
Hi there..
Iv made a few batches of hard cider from apples iv press, it's came out great...but it's winter now and the apples in the supermarket are just to expensive..to grind up and press for cider.
I found this organic apple juice that is 100% juice has no sweeteners. It has been pasteurized but i know it's ok to use pasteurized cider for hard cider if it has to preservatives. ...the one problem "I" see is that there is Ascorbic Acid in it to keep it's color..i'm not sure if that would cause a problem....Also apple juice has been filtered, thats what makes it apple juice right? this might cause a problem too? this apple juice basically seems like cider to me..it's lighter but still dark..

http://www.knudsenjuices.com/products/category.aspx?groupID=9&categoryID=55

if anyone knows of a way to get cheap apples in marh in New England plz let me know i would much rather use fresh squeezed apples

Thanks for any of you thoughts.

C3

Ascorbic Acid is not a problem. I've used filtered juice and even canned concentrate and gotten good results.

Thank thats good to hear. guess I'll go for it in the next couple days..unless someone objects.

C3Candy said:
Thank thats good to hear. guess I'll go for it in the next couple days..unless someone objects.

If you're wrong then I'm wrong. I have 5 gallons of Sam's Choice 100% pasturized apple juice in a primary with 4 cups of Splenda and yeast. THAT'S IT.

Can't think of a simpler way to come up with a sweet low alcohol hard cider than that. I'm shooting for a real SWMBO pleaser for the summer.

Let's face it, when the SWMBO is happy, I'm happy.

BierMuncher said:
If you're wrong then I'm wrong. I have 5 gallons of Sam's Choice 100% pasturized apple juice in a primary with 4 cups of Splenda and yeast. THAT'S IT.

Can't think of a simpler way to come up with a sweet low alcohol hard cider than that. I'm shooting for a real SWMBO pleaser for the summer.

It will end up between 5% & 6% abv depending on the juice.

I asked on another thread, but does a sterile-packed juice (unrefrigerated) need to be boiled before pitching yeast? This will be my first time. I'm still a brew-virgin, and I'd like to get started as quickly and simply as possible.
Thanks!

I know this is an old post but I was wondering with this recipe what yeast would you use?
When you say sweet, what would the approx fg be?
Thanks for your help:rockin:

Back