Color Way, Way off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed the Rochefort 8 clone extract kit from northern brewer a few weeks ago and began secondary fermentation just moments ago. When I took my hydrometer reading for the final gravity I noticed that the color was way off from what a rochefort 8 would be. I also entered the recipe into beersmith and it seemed to produce a color expectation that was on par with the real rochefort 8. I don't have a way to measure the color but I can say that it is the color of a milk caramel. (Funny thing is that is also tastes like a milk caramel). The color of the wort when I brewed was darker, on par with expectations.

Not sure what went wrong, or if anything is in fact wrong. Could it be that the sample just had an excessive amount of yeast? I don't know what the whole wort looks like because its sitting in a steel conical fermenter instead of a glass carbory.

Could be a lot of things, including boil time, lack of boil time, age of extract, extract composition itself, steeping grains, etc.

And, gonna look a whole lot different in a bottle, in a glass, in your hydrometer flask...

How's it taste...that's the test.

taste was excellent, I downed the whole hydrometer. come out at 9.45% alcohol and is very noticable but I planned to age this guy for a while so that should mellow out. everything is right on the money except for the color.

I brewed the Rochefort 8 clone extract kit from northern brewer a few weeks ago and began secondary fermentation just moments ago. When I took my hydrometer reading for the final gravity I noticed that the color was way off from what a rochefort 8 would be. I also entered the recipe into beersmith and it seemed to produce a color expectation that was on par with the real rochefort 8. I don't have a way to measure the color but I can say that it is the color of a milk caramel. (Funny thing is that is also tastes like a milk caramel). The color of the wort when I brewed was darker, on par with expectations.

Not sure what went wrong, or if anything is in fact wrong. Could it be that the sample just had an excessive amount of yeast? I don't know what the whole wort looks like because its sitting in a steel conical fermenter instead of a glass carbory.
Yeast will make samples look lighter. So will the skinny test tube.

Is the volume you brewed and the volume of the recipe the same?

My latest hydrometer sample of the same brew (the number 8)was also lighter than I thought it would be. I think it could be because the hydrometer tube is so narrow. It will probably look darker in a glass. Only time will tell.

Latest posts

Back