Is it safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solstice

Reaction score
So for my second batch of ale I decided to save some unfermented wort to prime with for bottling to avoid having to add corn sugar. I stored it in the 'fridge in mason jars that I washed and sanitized and pretty much forgot about. I checked on them today and noticed sediment on the bottom of the jars and bubbles on top. Has something gotten in my jars and caused and infection or does this happen? Should I throw it out and use sugar anyway or is it safe to use for priming?
Thanks in advannce!

the sediment is probably hot or cold break. The bubble would worry me. I would definatly boil it again before addidn it to make sure its sterile. Also try takeing another hydromter reading to see if it has changed. If it has changed there is definatly something in there.

Boy was that an obscure FF reference there Malkore! Megaphone or not, I agree with the moogle too. Definitely boil it before you add it into your beer.

Wtf is a moogle anyway?

Regardless, these guys are right. You never know what's in your fridge or what could be in your beer. Boil it just to be safe.

Oi!
Maybe this didn't work?
I boiled the gyle and added it to my beer, bottled and forgot about it for 2 weeks. I pop one in the fridge to get it nice and cool. I pop it open and barely notice any hiss at all. I pour it in the glass and there's almost no carbonation. It's got a strange taste that I can't quite put my finger on too.
I'm thinking that maybe I need to wait longer? Bump up the temp a little? The ambient temp in that room is around 70F, the stick on thermometer on my primary when full says the temp is usually 68ish. Should I give them a little heat and time or did something maybe go wrong?
TIA
--S

I'm no expert in microbiology, but I've always thought the real danger of saving wort without sterilization (not just sanitizing, but pressure cooking/autoclaving) was botulism. While boiling will kill the botulism bacteria, it will not remove the toxin that the botulism bacteria creates.

Once again, I'm no expert, but I also believe I've read that the low pH of wort inhibits the botulism bacteria.

Either way, just to be safe, I wouldn't add any saved wort into my beer unless it had been sterilized before storage.

edit: To clarify: I work in food service and scored a 98% on the ServeSafe exam. I know for a fact that boiling post-infection will not remove botulism toxin. I do not know how susceptible wort is to botulism bacteria, or what signs would specifically suggest such an infection.

kaptain_karma said:
I'm no expert in microbiology, but I've always thought the real danger of saving wort without sterilization (not just sanitizing, but pressure cooking/autoclaving) was botulism. While boiling will kill the botulism bacteria, it will not remove the toxin that the botulism bacteria creates.

Once again, I'm no expert, but I also believe I've read that the low pH of wort inhibits the botulism bacteria.

Either way, just to be safe, I wouldn't add any saved wort into my beer unless it had been sterilized before storage.

edit: To clarify: I work in food service and scored a 98% on the ServeSafe exam. I know for a fact that boiling post-infection will not remove botulism toxin. I do not know how susceptible wort is to botulism bacteria, or what signs would specifically suggest such an infection.

From what I've read, wort isn't all that succeptible to botulitis, but I can ask a relative of mine, he does Food Packaging Science for Campbell's soup.

I was reading up on this and if you just put wort in mason jars and leave them on a shelf at 70 degrees you might have an issue. If you bottle it and put it in the fridge you will be fine since botulism does not grow at that temperature. Once you throw it in beer it is acidic enough to also stop botulism.

The best method for saving wort is to pressure can it, that kills the bacteria, but if you don't have a pressure cooker I've read that Papazian just bottles it and puts it in the fridge till use.

Back