South American cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photogscott

Reaction score
If you come across cascade rated between 3-4 percent alpha, chances are its from Argentina or maybe Chile. While dry hopping an IPA I noticed it didn't smell right. Not bad but just bland, none of that citrusy smell that smacks you in the face.

Of course I find out later its cascade only in name as I found out browsing the Northern Brewer site I don't fault the lhbs I bought it from but If ida known... http://www.northernbrewer.com/hop-pellets.html

fortunately my brew is blended with centennial & columbus

One of the owners of my LHBS said they're going to be getting some South American hops next week. I would think it's a possibility from now until harvest in the Northern Hemisphere.

I have some of the stuff, and I want to make a brew with it. I've heard nothing about the origin, but I expect someone took some Cascades rhizomes down there to see how they would grow. I am not surprised about how different they are, but I am looking to use them.

TL

i have 4 oz of them, and haven't used them yet...so they aren't good for dry hopping, good to know.

I doubt it is a different hop variety, just grown in a completely different environment. Most of Argentina is less than 45 degrees South. Which means it isn't all that great for hops.

Back