Another noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyDog

Reaction score
Brewed my second batch ever last Sunday. A midwest porter. As I posted mid week, I pitched some Wyeast activator yeast which had frozen and didn't swell in the packet, so I pitched some Munton's dry yeast. Got good activity for about 36 hours after which the foam disappeared and activity appeared to be stopped. I just took a hydrometer reading and it is at 1.14 (after 5-1/2 days) Do you think it will continue to go down if I just let it sit idle, or should I rouse it a bit to stir up the sludge?

Taste is really good right now. Can I expect any change in the taste over the rest of the cycle?

My first batch, a Fat Tire clone, has been in the bottle 20 days and still doesn't have much carbonation, although I've drank about 8 bottles. It's sitting in a dark closet and is at around 64-66 degrees. Should I move it to a little warmer area to speed up the carbonation or just wait another few days to see what happens?

Thanks for all the great feedback. Cheers!

Primary: Midwest Porter
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Midwest Flat Tire Ale
On Deck: Midwest Raspberry Wheat, Midwest Brass Ale, Midwest Honey Weizen

For your first question, what was the OG and predicted FG of the beer? I'd assume you meant to type 1.014 for your current reading, which probably is within a couple points of where is was supposed to finish.

For carbonation. Yes, I'd warm them up to about 70 degrees or so and see if that resolves the issue.

My mistake 1.014 is where it is at. It started at 1.044 and is supposed to get down to 1.010 - 1.012 when finished.

It might drop a couple of more points, but it may not with the Muntons. Either way, it'll be fine. Check it again in a week (if you're not using a clearing tank (secondary) and if it's the same, it's ok to bottle it. If you using a secondary carboy, you can transfer the beer in the next few days if you want.

Back