Pilsner Malt - Max % Without 90 Min Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamest22

Reaction score
What is the maximum percentage of pilsner malt you would include in a grist bill before you would consider a 90 minute boil necessary to reduce DMS.

I agree with Denny- I never do a 90 minute boil with Pils malt and never had issues with DMS

100%......I don't find a 90 min. boil mandatory with pils malt.

That is cool. I typically avoid pils just to keep my brewday shorter. But I love pils malt. This is good news.

I brewed an IPA last night with a grist of 50% MO and 50% Pils. After reading these responses, I opted for a 60 minute boil. I'll report back. Thanks!

A hard boil and chilling the wort quickly will eliminate most of the need for a 90 min boil. Though I still do them for beers with a majority of pils malt.

I've done 80-85% pils grainbills coupled with 40 minute boils and zero DMS. Or maybe I'm incapable or smelling/tasting DMS and everyone who drinks my beer loves that DMS taste hehe

If you're that worried and unsure about it, why not use a portion of Pilsener DME and fill in the rest of the grist with the other malts?

Use to do 60 min boils with 100% Pils and never had a problem but now I do 90+ min boils for a little extra color and flavor. I also think it may helps the clarity of my beers.

I've had serious DMS with Pils. It was a July brew, I boiled 60, and it took too long to chill. Now I'm super careful about it. I always make sure to boil 90 min AND chill it fast. In my case, I'm sure the problem was just that it took too long to chill. DMS is nasty, so I don't take any chances.

I've had serious DMS with Pils. It was a July brew, I boiled 60, and it took too long to chill. Now I'm super careful about it. I always make sure to boil 90 min AND chill it fast. In my case, I'm sure the problem was just that it took too long to chill. DMS is nasty, so I don't take any chances.

What brand of pils malt? IME, that's what makes the difference. How do you know it was because you took too long to chill? How long was it? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm interested in the details.

Weyerman, about an hour to chill below 90. I think the chill was the problem because I had done other 60 minute boil without DMS but I had chilled them much quicker.
It's just anecdotal evidence from my personal experience but it has motivated me to adjust my process.

Interesting stuff. I've also tended to avoid pils-heavy recipes because I didn't want to do a 90-minute boil. I may reconsider.

I know this thread is a bit old now, but I just brewed a Belgian IPA with a fair amount (62.5%) of Belgian pils malt, which included a lengthy hopstand, which precludes the possibility for a quick wort chilling. In this case, would you all suggest a 90-min boil for the pils, given no quick chilling?
Thanks!

I used to always do 90 min boils with pils malt, no questions asked.
Then, after talking to several professional brewers, they all told me that with today's* pils malt, a 90 min boil really isn't necessary.
So for about the last 2 years I've been doing 60 min boils.
No DMS yet. Fingers crossed.

*I'm not exactly sure what is meant by "today's pils malt".

I have also read/heard that with modern malting techniques 90 min boil is no longer necessary with pilsner malts. 60 min is fine. I'e never had issues.

I believe the only malt that might require a 90 minute boil would be Moravian malt. I think it's still not as modified as other pilsner malts unless things have changed in the last few years.

This weekend I'll keg a Munich Helles that's 90% Weyermann Pilsner. For the first time, I only did a 60 min boil. I haven't picked up any DMS so far. Not sure if that means I'm in the clear or if I'll have to wait and judge once I tap the keg.

I stopped doing 90min boils for pisler malts a while ago. I've never gotten any DMS from it

For the benefit of new brewers, like myself: What is the full story with Pilsner malt and DMS? Why is DMS a common issue with Pilsner malt, and why does a 90 min boil prevent that? How does cooling the wort faster help prevent the issue?

For the benefit of new brewers, like myself: What is the full story with Pilsner malt and DMS? Why is DMS a common issue with Pilsner malt, and why does a 90 min boil prevent that? How does cooling the wort faster help prevent the issue?

Pilsner malt can be high in SMM (S-Methyl Methionine) which is a dimethyl sulfide (DMS) precursor. Fortunately DMS is volatile and will boil off. A 90 minute boil ensures that all DMS is volatilized. It's also why you always boil with the lid off otherwise it will just precipitate back into the wort.

Back