BIAB kettle size help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabrew

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm planning on building an electric BIAB which I could use in my kitchen, however I'm hesitating between 24 and 36 qrt bayou classic with basket (such as this: Bayou Classic Stainless Steel Stockpot with Steam/Boil/Fry Baskets | Wayfair).

What I have and want:
1. 20 amp circuit --> 1x 2000W controlled via PID
2. Want to make 4gal batches (ferment in cornelius keg)

Worries with 24qrt
1. limit volume for 4 gal batches?
2. limited on wort density.

Worries with 36qrt
1. difficulty reaching temperatures with only 2000W element

Thanks!!!!

Go bigger! 40 or even 44qt IMO. Strainer basket is nice but not mandatory again just MO. You can simply suspend the bag above the element while heating to mash out. 2000w will handle your batch size even w/ the bigger pot. While a pid is great...you can also control manually w/ such a small element if you want to keep it simple.

thanks for answering!

As I mentioned, I have no interest in making 5gal+ size batches. I plan on brewing 3-4gal batches with only 2000W element.

Im used to brewing with my 3 vessel keggle system for 10 gal batches. However I am unsure of the volume needed for BIAB. You believe the 36qt kettle will be too small?

thanks

I have a 36 qt and do BIAB. You can do beers up to 1.065ish no problem but those 1.090 beers are somewhat problematic.

Latest posts

Back