Stir plates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean6120

Reaction score
Am in the market for a stir plate was going for the vortex but adventures in homebrewing sells one for half the price and appears to have better reviews I do 2L starters......any feedback would help

Is it the Stir Starter? If so, go for it. A lot of people are very happy with them. The gentleman who makes them is really nice, too.

I have the Stir Starter as well as the Stir Starter 5L, both of which have served me well.

It is the stir starter brop gonna go for the 5l for lager starters thanks bro!

Good call on the 5L. It'll do fine for smaller starters but can handle big ones if needed.

Agreed, got one too and I've been completely satisfied.

Am in the market for a stir plate was going for the vortex but adventures in homebrewing sells one for half the price and appears to have better reviews I do 2L starters......any feedback would help

If you do 2L starters, you'll need a 5L flask... consider the foot print of that beast when selecting a plate.

Or build one yourself!

If you do 2L starters, you'll need a 5L flask... consider the foot print of that beast when selecting a plate.

Or build one yourself!

Listen to this man. A 2 liter starter is a lot in a 2 liter flask. you don't leave a lot of room for fermentation to expand into and if you're doing a belgian yeast you'll have a nice mess to clean up.

I'm quite fond of my Yeastir stir plate. Nice wide, low profile (stable) base.

Brew on :mug:

I second the Yeastir as I love how large the base is and the build quality is superb. I considered the Stir Starter, but spent a few dollars more and have been extremely happy.

Or build one yourself!

I make 2 liter starters in 2 liter flasks.
The flasks have some head space.
I just watch it while boiling.

The thing to look for is getting a good flask. There are many low quality ones out there. Thin and with bubbles. The one I got is thicker walled.

And measure the volume because they are not always accurate.

I make 2 liter starters in 2 liter flasks.
The flasks have some head space.
I just watch it while boiling.

The thing to look for is getting a good flask. There are many low quality ones out there. Thin and with bubbles. The one I got is thicker walled.

And measure the volume because they are not always accurate.

Boil in a pot, grow your starter in the flask! Too much chance of breaking your flask, as they aren't designed for that.

Boil in a pot, grow your starter in the flask! Too much chance of breaking your flask, as they aren't designed for that.

Actually, This is bad information. Erlenmeyer flasks ARE made for direct heat and actually made to withstand more heat than your stove could put out (Try 450c!). Its this one of the very reasons that people want Erlenmeyer flasks to begin with.

Actually, This is bad information. Erlenmeyer flasks ARE made for direct heat and actually made to withstand more heat than your stove could put out (Try 450c!). Its this one of the very reasons that people want Erlenmeyer flasks to begin with.

Then why are so many E flasks shattering when they are heated on the stove? I hear what you're saying, but why take the chance? It could be the cheap plain glass ones instead of the borosilicate glass, I guess. If you're gonna buy an E-flask, might as well pop for the real thing if you want to heat your wort in the flask.

I would amend that to say SOME Erlenmeyer flasks are made for direct heat. Good lab grade ones. Some of the cheaper ones, definitely not. Ask me how I know...

Oh yeah, and +1 on Stir Starter. I love mine.

And Go bigger that you think you need. I started with a 2L flask, and quickly realized I needed a bigger one.

I would amend that to say SOME Erlenmeyer flasks are made for direct heat. Good lab grade ones. Some of the cheaper ones, definitely not. Ask me how I know...

Then why are so many E flasks shattering when they are heated on the stove? I hear what you're saying, but why take the chance? It could be the cheap plain glass ones instead of the borosilicate glass, I guess. If you're gonna buy an E-flask, might as well pop for the real thing if you want to heat your wort in the flask.

Yep. I'm guessing the plain glass ones are not. The borosilicate, brand-name E-flasks probably are.

I hear what you are saying. But there are a lot of cheap imitations of everything out there. That's on the buyer to purchase quality products. Just like when buying anything "economy" and especially tools or scientific equipment, you get what you pay for. The Erlenmeyer flask is a dear and true piece of equipment that I use regularly outside of homebrewing and I feel obligated to defend it's purpose in design instead of feeding fear of structural failure into those who have made purchases of inferior quality products. Make sure you purchase AT LEAST student quality flasks.

:mug:

I hear what you are saying. But there are a lot of cheap imitations of everything out there. That's on the buyer to purchase quality products. Just like when buying anything "economy" and especially tools or scientific equipment, you get what you pay for. The Erlenmeyer flask is a dear and true piece of equipment that I use regularly outside of homebrewing and I feel obligated to defend it's purpose in design instead of feeding fear of structural failure into those who have made purchases of inferior quality products. Make sure you purchase AT LEAST student quality flasks.

:mug:

Yep... if nothing else, just go for the brand name jobs. And make sure the description says "Borosilicate glass" not just "glass" :) Pyrex should be a trusty name. OTOH, I know a former roommate was trying to cook in a Pyrex casserole dish on the stove and it shattered, so not all Pyrex is "stovetop safe" either. :)

Good flasks are intended for that. (use on stove top flame, not electric)
That why they are used in labs.
Bad ones (i.e the thin ones some places sell) will crack.

Yep... if nothing else, just go for the brand name jobs. And make sure the description says "Borosilicate glass" not just "glass" :) Pyrex should be a trusty name. OTOH, I know a former roommate was trying to cook in a Pyrex casserole dish on the stove and it shattered, so not all Pyrex is "stovetop safe" either. :)

I believe "stove top safe" means flame only. I don't think Borosilicate is to be used on electric or Seran. Pyrex can be, but only with the thicker pyrex glass. Lab quality Erlenmeyer flasks are specifically designed for quick heating and cooling and back to heating repeat, repeat, repeat.. without any issues.

Back in the '90s, Corning licensed the Pyrex name, and a number of companies started making Pyrex-brand cookware from non-borosilicate glass, to cut costs. There are some cases where people had erroneously thought their Pyrex measuring cups or casserole dishes were heat-safe and were injured, due to breakage. There is even a class action lawsuit involving this. Pyrex has been around for so long, most people naturally associate it with heat-safe qualities.

All Pyrex-brand labware is borosilicate. As is Kimax. Just beware of some of the cheap knockoffs.

Back