Oatmeal Stout Dwarven Warrior Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't worry about being lower in mash temps.. you're still going to have a kick a$$ stout. I just brewed this one again yesterday. dropped the 2 row to 8lbs, boosted the oats to 2lbs... used US-05. This stout is going to be my starter for an Imperial Stout that should weigh in around 1.098-1.100... tis the season!!! let me know how this turns out for you!
I entered this in the 2011 Peach State Brew Off and took 2nd in Oatmeal Stouts. I have since altered the recipe to include an additional pound of oatmeal since the judges suggested more oatmeal for more of a nutty flavor. The original recipe is as follows.

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 34.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (412.0 SRM)
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) (toasted at 350F for 20 minutes or until golden brown)
1 lbs Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %] (30 min)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

I used a 1000ml starter and had bubbles in the airlock within 3 hours and vigorous fermentation with in 8 hours
Hi,
As I can't find malted oats here, could I use naked oats like an alternative solution? Thank you for your time.

I use quick oats from the grocery store all the time. Sometimes I toast them, sometimes I don't. Naked oats should be fine as well
Thank you for your quick reply. Your recipe has already been in my list. I will inform you about the results when I cook it. Thanks again.

Any pointers on converting this recipe to extract?
Can I just change the 2-row to the appropriate amount of malt extract and then steep everything else?

Any pointers on converting this recipe to extract?
Can I just change the 2-row to the appropriate amount of malt extract and then steep everything else?
This should get you close.
1593983330987.png

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.01 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.65 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 42.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
2 lbs Carafoam [Steep] (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 19.0 % 0.16 gal
1 lbs Chocolate Malt [Steep] (350.0 S Grain 2 9.5 % 0.08 gal
8.0 oz Caraaroma [Steep] (130.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.8 % 0.04 gal
8.0 oz Carafa Special III (Weyermann) Grain 4 4.8 % 0.04 gal
6 lbs 8.0 oz Spraymalt DME - Light [Boil] (5 Dry Extra 5 61.9 % 0.50 gal
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Hop 6 13.6 IBUs -
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Hop 7 10.4 IBUs -
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP Yeast 8 - -

Thanks - considerate of you to convert it for me. Is the carafoam intended to take the place of the oats?
Do you think a partial mash would allow me to get closer to the “real deal”, or should I just stick with this recipe until I’m up to AG brews?

Thanks - considerate of you to convert it for me. Is the carafoam intended to take the place of the oats?
Do you think a partial mash would allow me to get closer to the “real deal”, or should I just stick with this recipe until I’m up to AG brews?

Yes, carafoam is replacing the oats. If you want the real deal, make that jump to AG brewing. You won't regret it at all. If it's an equipment thing.. BIAB solves that problem. That's what I do.. I have the ability and equipment to do a 3 vessel batch sparge AG brew but BIAB works just as well and cuts the brew day down to about 4 hours from strike to cleanup. There's a lot of useful info here about BIAB as well as on Facebook (search BIAB-Brew in a Bag on Facebook) if you're interested

Greetings from Australia. I just ordered the ingredients to do this as a 1/2 batch (10L)

Would you suggest adding salts to raise the PH of the mash slightly? (Calcium Carbonate)

Greetings from Australia. I just ordered the ingredients to do this as a 1/2 batch (10L)

Would you suggest adding salts to raise the PH of the mash slightly? (Calcium Carbonate)
Adjust for your water chemistry. Mine is perfect for dark beers right out of the ground (Well water)

Howdy, so I did a small half batch after being inspired by this. Since then I have upgraded to a Guten 40L brewery and kegerator. As such, my Brother in Law has requested a keg for his kegerator.

I will let you know how I go, but I can't get malted oats here in Aus, so I just simply went with

9.2lbs Ale Malt (2-Row)
2.2lbs Quick Oat (flaked oats)
1lb Chocolate Malt
10.5oz Caraaroma

I will use Dennys Favorite Yeast (I pressure ferment, but will go light on the pressure maybe 5psi)

Will send you a pic once I brew it this weekend!

Cheers from Aus and stay safe!

Hi,
I'm trying to find the ingredients for the recipe but there is nowhere malted naked oat. How can I replace it?

I've brewed it using 2lbs of flaked oats, it was just as good
Thank for a great recipe.
I thought you said you use 3lbs of oats in total (1lb flaked, 1lb toasted flaked, and 1lb malted)?
Can all three be flaked or should the malted be substituted or deleted?

Latest posts

Back