Dial thermometers in your sculpture??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do any of you folks who have built your breweing rigs use and anolog thermometer such as the bi-metal dials??

Any concern in using that kind.

Post pics if you have them thanks.

Not sure why there would be a issue. People have been using them for years. The good thing about most of the ones that can be bought out of the sale catalogs is that there is a screw on the back to adjust the face. That way you can calibrate them(kind of).

I have one in my tun and HLT.

Stand.jpg

I no longer use any of the bi-metal type dial thermometers. I had an expensive one that turned out to be very unreliable regardless of how well and how often I calibrated it. I went digital and never looked back. I only wish I had done so much sooner.

cat, do you us yours directly into mash, water or wort OR do you use a thermowell. Are yours fed back to a PID or plain display? RTD or termocouple?

I use a thermowell which is simply a section of 1/2" rigid copper pipe capped on the bottom and mounted vertically down into the mash. It is held in place by a wooden cross bar on top of the mash tun:

4185957489_44046d0fbd_b.jpg

The orange thing is a piece of a fiberglass driveway marker I use to push the probe to the bottom of the thermowell and hold it in place. I'm running a semi-automatic direct fired RIMS. I use a Johnson A419 to control the burner and the probe for it is mounted on the output side of the pump. The digital thermometer monitors the mash temp and I adjust the controller as needed to achieve the desired mash temp. I say semi-auto as I still must adjust the flame level and the pump flow rate manually, but that's easy to do. The thermowell is fully adjustable vertically for various batch sizes. I have it mounted half way from the center of the tun to the outer wall and half way to the bottom of the grain bed. I figure this will give me a good indication of the average mash temperature. It's been working very well. I like the cross bar arrangement as it can be easily moved out of the way if necessary such as when stirring the mash. I did not like having a probe or thermowell coming in from the side as it got in the way when stirring and was not adjustable or well positioned.

Back