Fully Carbed After 1 Week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
I bottled a Hefe last week and tried one last night (1 week after bottling) and it was perfectly carbed. I'm wondering if I should put the rest of the bottle sin the fridge/basement now. Is it normal to be carbed so fast? I've never brewed a hefe, but typically I give them another week at the higher temp. It was fantastic by the way!

German wheat yeasts tend to stay in suspension for quite a while, so having all that extra yeast in the bottle really speeds up the process. I did one a few weeks ago that I primed with simple sugars and it was completely carbed in 5 days.

It is possible. Some styles will carb faster than others. However there is a difference between appearing carbed and being carbed. For example I brewed and american wheat not too long ago that was carbed like crazy after a week. However it was all head, no real carb after the pour. So it appeared carbed at first but had no lasting power.

Assuming that somehow you have the appropriate head, head retention, and sufficient bubbles after the fact, I'd still leave it for a few weeks. Taste one every week and note the drastic improvement in flavor. It's not all about carbing when you bottle condition, a lot of the wait time is for the yeast to clean up and dramatically improve the taste!

That being said my first brew was an APA, and it was so good after about 10 days that I drank the hell out of them. It wasn't till the last couple that I realized how great it was after waiting a while.

I could be wrong but might have mistaken a head with being carbed. It might have pressure to seem carbed but it takes some time for the CO2 to settle in the beer. You should see bubbles coming up from the bottom constantly once properly carbed.

Thanks for the replies. It tasted great last night and I definitely noticed bubbles coming up from the bottom. Suppose I'll just have to test another tonight and keep an eye on the "lasting power" of those bubbles.

Even if it is fully carbed, it won't reach its full flavor potential for a couple of weeks, but there is nothing wrong with drinking a green Hefe- I do quite often. But it will taste different at 2 wks, 3wks, and then plateau.

Normally I don't touch anything that's been in the bottle less than 3 weeks, but my hefeweizens are always fully carbonated in two. I'm sure it's because of the amount of yeast in suspension, I only primary hefes two weeks then go straight to the bottle. It's a nice style if you want beer ready quickly.

I had a wit that did not flocculate well so I carried a lot of yeast into the bottles. With 6 oz priming sugar I was carbed at target ~3.5 vols at 6 days...

Back