Koelsch Extract Recipie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitzbube

Reaction score
I am hoping to do a Koelsch this weekend or next, so I need to call in ingredients quite soon. Does anyone out there have a Koelsch they think particularly resembles the real thing, or is not all too hoppy? I like German lagers especially, but I thinking it might still get warm here in my Southern Indiana basement, so a Koelsch might be spot on. Opinions on better online ordering sites also welcome, if you can spare the extra words.
Thanks
Craig

I ordered from morebeer, 2 batches worth and some caps all for about 70$, but still out of Glacier hops. Not bad on price I think-- cheaper than my LHBS. I did start brewing the koelsch with malts from the local homebrew store though, and all whole hops. The recipe I used was a Kolsch out of the homebrewer's recipie guide, but i substituted the wheat (i'm not into wheat) with Amber malt extract. I didn't strain the hops out until moving to the second fermenter. Will that bitter the beer too much or make it somehow off? I used White labs yeast, with an 18 hour starter, and saved the yeast after primary using directions i found on this site for washing and re-pitching years. Hope to do a Duesseldorfer altbeer next using the saved koelsch yeast I have in the fridge. If anyone cares to chime in, please do so.

Back