Accidently put Priming Sugar in 2nd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, it's not ruined, but it's now slightly higher in ABV.

Get yourself a new bag of priming sugar, so you'll be set for bottling.

Wait a week or two for the yeast to consume what you added. Have you been taking hydrometer readings? You likely didn't add much, but the specific gravity should have gone up slightly. The reading will need to be fixed for a couple days to make sure that your beer is done, and then use your new priming sugar the correct way, in the bottling bucket before racking.

Your beer is far from ruined. It's now got about a 0.01 boost in ABV, if I recall correctly. That's nothing to worry about, but don't just go tossing sugar in your beer to boost alcohol either, as it's makes crappy tasting beer in large amounts.

ETA: In the future you might want to watch the category you're posting to a bit closer. This might need to be move to the beginner brewing forum. You'll get more answers in the right forum locations.

Congrats on making beer, by the way!

No, it's not ruined, but it's now slightly higher in ABV.

Get yourself a new bag of priming sugar, so you'll be set for bottling.

Wait a week or two for the yeast to consume what you added. Have you been taking hydrometer readings? You likely didn't add much, but the specific gravity should have gone up slightly. The reading will need to be fixed for a couple days to make sure that your beer is done, and then use your new priming sugar the correct way, in the bottling bucket before racking.

Your beer is far from ruined. It's now got about a 0.01 boost in ABV, if I recall correctly. That's nothing to worry about, but don't just go tossing sugar in your beer to boost alcohol either, as it's makes crappy tasting beer in large amounts.

ETA: In the future you might want to watch the category you're posting to a bit closer. This might need to be move to the beginner brewing forum. You'll get more answers in the right forum locations.

Congrats on making beer, by the way!

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ban: Thanks for the info Ma2brew. I thought it was ruined. Don't know what I was thinking when I put the sugar in there.....:drunk:

I did notice it bubbling alittle afterwards and I was gonna wait about 2 weeks..

I'll watch the categories more closely. Thanks fer the advice :)

Back