Bolillos (Mexican white rolls)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went looking for some rolls for my pulled pork the other day, and the local grocery had some nice looking white rolls in the bakery section labeled, "fresh bolillos." I had no idea what a "bolillo" was, but they sure looked good, and they did make some great pulled pork sandwiches. Some Googling turned up the fact that a bolillo is either a derogatory term like, "gringo," or it's some variation of a football shaped white roll, perhaps salted, served as an appetizer, bean/avocado sandwich, or a dessert. Since the grocery store variety were so simple and tasty, I tried my hand at making my own. I'm sure that I'm somehow violating hundreds of years of tradition, but these things were AWESOME!

1-1/4 cups warm water (plus a few tablespoons)
1 Tbsp sugar (I used turbinado sugar)
1 package bread yeast (I used Fleischmann's bread machine yeast)
3 cups bread flour
1 tsp salt

Put the hot water and sugar in a mixing bowl and proof the yeast for 10-15 minutes. Add the flour, one cup at a time, mixing as you go. Add the salt with the last addition of flour. When the dough comes together, knead it for 10 minutes. The dough should be soft and pliable. If it's stiff, add more water, 1 Tbsp at a time, before kneading.

Put the dough back in the bowl, spray it with Pam, put a towel over it, and let it rise for 1-2 hours. For the rise, I like to turn the oven on warm for a few minutes, turn it back off, and place the bowl inside.

When the dough has doubled, take it out and separate it into small pieces (about 3 to 4 oz - the ones pictured below were 5.5 oz and got a little big). Gently work each piece into a strip about 3 inches wide and 8 inches long, then roll it up into a 3 inch roll. Place them on a baking stone or pan and let them rise for another 1-2 hours.

When they've nearly doubled again, pinch the ends to make a sort of football shape (oops, forgot that step in the ones pictured) and put a shallow lengthwise score in each with a sharp knife (tradition may call for three such scores).

Bake at 375°F for about 30 minutes.

To soften the crust, cool and store them overnight in a sealed plastic bag.

bolillos.jpg

bolillo_split.jpg

You should try baking these on the egg. Garlic Knots. Make Pizza Dough and tie them in knots. Bake on a pizza stone, then brush with olive oil and toss with fresh garlic, Parmesan cheese, and parsley. They can be addictive.

garlicknots.jpg

I make a bread that is so easy(I've been a baker for 20+ years)
3 cups flour
1 5/8 cups water
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry yeast
mix together with a spoon maybe 1 minute, place in a well floured bowl cover with plastic wrap and let sit 14+/- hrs.
take out of bowl onto lightly floured table shape into a ball(loosely) place on a floured towel and cover with towel
After 2 hrs preheat a cast oven dutch oven in a 425 oven and carefully place the bread in the pot, cover and bake 30mins, uncover and bake 10-15 mins til brown
It could probably be done on a pizza stone as flat ciabatta style bread

What makes it fun to do is the creative side(which is what we do as brewers)
in the past 4 weeks I have made this several times and each time with different ingredients added while mixing

roasted garlic an rosemary
White chocolate and dried apricots
Chipoltle peppers and cheddar
Pepper Jack cheese
White/dark chocolate and dried pineapple(really good)
and:D Bacon Cheddar cheese:D( which we ate as dinner the night it was made)

Bollilos are killer for making Mexican Tortas. I am sure you can get some good ones in San Antonio. I had a great one for lunch in Dallas with Pork al Pastor, ham, swiss cheese, avocado, mashed beans, tomato, and onion.

Back