Gingerbread Ale - 1.095 OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawler

Reaction score
My buddy and I made a Gingerbread ale and on my batch my OG came out to be 1.095. My temp was 72% when I tested my OG. I am fairly new to brewing and that seems like a very high OG. What would cause this to happen?

Wow what was your original target OG? Initial guesses would be using less mash/ sparge water than the recipe called for or your hydrometer didn't give you an accurate reading.

Wow what was your original target OG? Initial guesses would be using less mash/ sparge water than the recipe called for or your hydrometer didn't give you an accurate reading.

Well according to BeerSmith it says my Est. OG was 1.084. If my OG was 1.084 my efficiency would be 77%, but at 1.095 my efficiency is 82%.

Maybe my hydrometer is missreading like you said. How will I know if my hydrometer is reading properly?

Try putting your hydrometer in room temperature ideally distilled water. You should get a reading of 1.000 or if it's tap water, it should also read very close to 1.000. If it reads quite contrary to that, then your hydrometer is out.

Gravity is directly related to volume as well. If you have less than 5 gallons, you boiled it down too much creating more of a sugar concentration, and because of that, a higher than expected gravity.

Back