How do you get your wort to carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerly

Reaction score
I use a cfc and I don't have a spigot in my brewpot so I have to use a siphon to get from the pot to the carboy. I have a wort wizard setup right now that works great, but I want to start using better bottles, and they can't hold up to the pressure. One of my carboy appears to have a small crack and that is starting to scare me. So, until I get a brewpot with a spigot, I'm stuck with the siphon method. I think.

Do any of you use a better method in transferring? It would be nice if I could use Better Bottles.

Editing this to mention that I plan on buying a bigger/better pot before a pump.

You're right, you can't use the wizard with a better bottle (it collapses). The only thing I can figure is that you can use the suction port of the wort wizard to pull a vaccuum directly on the output line of the CFC until you see wort flowing into the wizard. Immediately pull the hose off and put it into your carboy to continue draining.

The big problem here is that you're now on pure gravity. Your kettle will need to be relatively high up for it to flow well. You'd still have this issue with a bulkhead drain on the kettle. Many of us found this problem and answered it with a March 809 pump.

I've got a 50L SS MLT with a false bottom and spigot. I dump the wort into it when it's cooled down, and the false bottom acts as a filter for some of the solids. I then put the MLT on a table and position the carboy below the spigot with a strainer funnel in the neck, and proceed to drain it into the funnel thusly:

4914-rochestrain2.JPG

I don't think I was very clear on my first post. I am basically asking if anyone has some better ideas for my situation than what I've come up with, as far as using a cfc and a pot without a spigot. I would like to start using better bottles but with my setup as it is, I can not. The pressure from the wort wizard would crush the better bottle. (At least thats what I've read.)

Another alternative would be attaching an extension tube to the tubing coming out of the cfc, and sucking on it the old fashioned way, but that seems worrisome to me.

Is there anyone in my situation that has figured out a better way?

Thanks

jerly said:
Another alternative would be attaching an extension tube to the tubing coming out of the cfc, and sucking on it the old fashioned way, but that seems worrisome to me.
This is essentially what I do. I have a copper dip tube into my kettle. I have a hose barb on the outlet of the CFC to which I attach a short piece of sanitized hose. I suck on that hose to start the syphon, then pull it off as soon as I see the wort enter the top of the CFC.

I drain into a bucket so I don't bother with another piece of tubing to go into it (just free-fall through a strainer) but there would be plenty of time to attach one if I wanted to before the wort started leaving the chiller.

It's just by gravity but I can drain the 23L from my kettle to my primary in a little under 20 minutes.

jerly said:
I don't think I was very clear on my first post. I am basically asking if anyone has some better ideas for my situation than what I've come up with, as far as using a cfc and a pot without a spigot. I would like to start using better bottles but with my setup as it is, I can not. The pressure from the wort wizard would crush the better bottle. (At least thats what I've read.)

Is there anyone in my situation that has figured out a better way?

Thanks

I gave you one. Use the suction of the wort wizard to start the siphon, then let gravity do the rest.

Bobby_M said:
I gave you one. Use the suction of the wort wizard to start the siphon, then let gravity do the rest.
Bobby -- how does this work with the better bottle that he wants to use? He is asking how to use the wort wizard together with the better bottle.

FlyGuy said:
Bobby -- how does this work with the better bottle that he wants to use? He is asking how to use the wort wizard together with the better bottle.

It's not ideal but I suspect using the wort wizard to suck start the siphon is better than putting your lips on the tube. The downside is that once the siphone is started, he'd have to just let gravity run it. Alternatively, you could transfer into a bottling bucket using wort wizard suction then pour into a better bottle through a strainer afterwards. It's just one extra step but a pain in the ass.

I realize that I wont be able to use the better bottle with the wort wizard.

I had thought of using an extension tube and sucking on it to get it going, but I was hoping that there might be a better way hat I haven't thought of. I don't like the idea of using my mouth.

I'll probably stick with the wort wizard/glass carboy. I'll just have to wait until I get a new brewpot with a spigot and/or pump before I switch to bettr bottles.

Thanks for the input.

Bobby M, I see what you're getting at by basically using the wort wizard to start it, the same as I would would my mouth. Both of those methods leave me a bit nervous about contamination.

I have one of those. I don't even want to try and see how it holds up to the just boiling wort. I think it would melt, at the very least get warped and make it unusable.

jerly said:
I have one of those. I don't even want to try and see how it holds up to the just boiling wort. I think it would melt, at the very least get warped and make it unusable.

You aren't cooling before transferring?

Back