Another reason I hate marketing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcbaumannerb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I went to Champps for dinner (mostly because they mailed me a $10 gift card) and looming over the beer menu I see this:

image-30767731.jpg

I guess if people see the word "premium" next to BMC enough times they will believe it! Why are these not listed as "domestic" anymore? Sigh.

This is a new one to me. I mean ive seen premium used to describe the BMC specialty beers but not the actual BMC beers themselves. I can almost justify shock top, rolling rock, or yuengling, but budweiser, etc. Is something new to me.

Almost as bad as this place in SC that listed SNPA as an import!

Oh, I've seen all sorts of US beers listed as "imported". It cracks me up. SNPA, Fat Tire, Shiner Bock, all listed as "imported". I suppose so it can justify a higher price.

I did tell a server that I was unaware that Pennsylvania had seceded from the union (Yuengling) but since I got a blank stare I decided my humor was misplaced.

Yeah, I get annoyed when I go out to eat here and i see shiner being sold as an import.

Domestic beers being sold as imports is even worse for those of us that don't know.

I move that a bill be put to Congress saying that re-sellers of beer have to list their offerings under the correct category. I wouldn't begin to have the legal vernacular to put something like that together, but someone should do it.

nukebrewer said:
I move that a bill be put to Congress saying that re-sellers of beer have to list their offerings under the correct category. I wouldn't begin to have the legal vernacular to put something like that together, but someone should do it.

+1 on this I seen this trend about 8 years ago when I got out of BMC's and was ordering sam adams on "import" at resturants. im sure in america somewhere along the lines that has to be false advertisment. But at the same time it is america. And BMC have plonty of money to say or change rules that they want.

Super sad face :(

That menu is fine. The ones that list American beers as imports are ridiculous. And it's not even like they can all pass it off as being an out-of-state beer. I've seen Shiner listed as import in Texas.

The big breweries list their most popular beers as "premium" so bud, bud light, miller, miller lite, coors, coors lite are premium. The beers above those are super-premium, like Michelob. Sub-premium are beers like Busch.

Congress doesn't have the brain power to understand such a bill. You know, you could take the collective brain power of all the US Congress, AND the Senate, multiply it by a million, shove it up an ant's ass & it would still bounce around like a BB in boxcar.
Sorry, I digress. :drunk:
I do agree that we should have a national standard.
Regards, GF.

Congress doesn't have the brain power to understand such a bill. You know, you could take the collective brain power of all the US Congress, AND the Senate, multiply it by a million, shove it up an ant's ass & it would still bounce around like a BB in boxcar.
Sorry, I digress. :drunk:
I do agree that we should have a national standard.
Regards, GF.

You're probably right. Plus even if they could understand such a bill, I doubt they would care. Perhaps we should instead target the individual restaurants. Make them understand that by listing American brewed beers as imports that they're sending a bad message about their world views.

I honestly don't care if they charge more for the craft brews, I'm willing to pay, but when you list a beer that was brewed just down the road as an import, it's really hard for me to take you seriously.

Additionally, the next time I go to a restaurant and see something like this, I'm going to write an e-mail straight to the top of whatever place it happens to be. Yeah, I realize that even if every craft beer drinker in America sent such an e-mail we would still be outnumbered by the BMC crowd by a very wide margin. At least I can say I tried.

I had to tell a server that the beer listed as "import" was not an import. She then replied with, "Well, it's not the most correct term, but it is a craft beer so it gets lumped into the import because it's considered a premium beer."

So why not just list the beers by their price. Most everyone who sells macrobrews have distinct categories of prices.

Or they can just have a category for the in-state beer (since Michigan doesn't (yet) have a macrobrewery it would work well here), a category for National and Import Craft beer, and just not sell the macro beer. Or put them down at the bottom in small letters.

Come on you guys!!! Why all the BMC bashing???????? Smart guys like me don't get bent out of shape about this stuff!.....wait, what?

OH!

I would definitely laugh out loud and point out to the waiter that carbonated elephant urine was listed as premium.

The big breweries list their most popular beers as "premium" so bud, bud light, miller, miller lite, coors, coors lite are premium. The beers above those are super-premium, like Michelob. Sub-premium are beers like Busch.

This.

It's an invented term, but it's pretty widely used.

We have a bar called The Tin Can, which serves all canned beer. They divide the categories a bit more honestly: Cheap beer ($4), Pretty Cheap Beer ($3), and Really Cheap Beer ($2).

This is just the traditional way they do it. Import just means it costs more. I used to complain to a server everytime I went to a local place that Leinies and Sam Adams and a few other were under Imports. They would just say it just means they cost more, but even they thought it was dumb. Why not have three columns? Domestic, Premium, and Import? Or since the Import costs the same as Premium just label Domestic and Premium.

First world problems.

I went to Champps for dinner (mostly because they mailed me a $10 gift card) and looming over the beer menu I see this:

View attachment 80983

I guess if people see the word "premium" next to BMC enough times they will believe it! Why are these not listed as "domestic" anymore? Sigh.

Well it is Michelob Ultra.

Back