Forgot the Irish Moss.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpcoote

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new brewer. I've done a few beers, but this is my first mead. I just put the wort in the fermenter, and realized I forgot to add the Irish Moss.... Will the mead still clear at all? Or will just have to be happy with delicious yet cloudy mead?

Well you will be fine as you do not use Irish Moss in Mead. Mead is called must in the beginning stage not wort lol. Relax and do some reading on the stickied sections and you will learn a lot. After you rack a few times the mead will clear all by itself.
Enjoy!

jpcoote said:
I'm a relatively new brewer. I've done a few beers, but this is my first mead. I just put the wort in the fermenter, and realized I forgot to add the Irish Moss.... Will the mead still clear at all? Or will just have to be happy with delicious yet cloudy mead?

Just curious of the recipe you used and how many of the beer making steps you used if you don't mind?

basically I dissolved 15 lbs of orange blossom honey in about 2-2.5 gallons of water, boiled for 10 min (though i dont know that im gonna boil at all next time) and then cooled it and added to the fermenter where i added another gallons roughly to get to 5 gallons of must. Thats pretty much it

Mead will clarify on its own during secondary fermentation. However, if you're impatient like me, I use sparkalloid. It's not an animal based clarifying agent, and it makes your final product crystal clear.

Yeah don't boil (or heat) at all next time. Mead making is pretty much mix, pitch and wait.

I got my mead recipe from Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" and it included Irish moss, but you're right I can't seem to find anyone else that uses it. Glad my mistake didnt actually matter

Papazian is a beer genious of sorts, but he uses beer methods to make mead, Try to get a copy of "the compleat meadmaker" by Ken Schramm, Papazians mead equivalent lol....irish moss might have it's place in a braggot but not really any other type of mead.

Just finished reading "the compleat meadmaker" and wow. Thanks for the recommendation! There's so many different thing I want to try now!

Back