American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YooperBrew said:
Do you have Beersmith? I have this recipe in Beersmith myself, and I could post that here if it'd help.
I don't see that you ever posted it here, but if you could do it that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! I just put a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale recipe kit in the primary last night but this will be next batch.

So, I brewed the extract version yesterday using the Crystal malt. OG: 1. 072

I'll let y'all know how it turned out for me in about 6 weeks.

ok, some people have asked me to post the conversion with LME. This is what I came up with:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Copy of Dogfish Head 60 Clone
Brewer: Lorena
Asst Brewer:
Style: India Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 13.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs 14.4 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 90.83 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 9.17 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.6 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (35 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (30 min) Hops 13.1 IBU

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 9.70 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Notes:
------
Pacman yeast used. Hops were added as continous- first warrior for the first 25 minutes, then all mixed continuosly at 35 minutes.

So after 2 more weeks in cold storage..This beer became crystal clear and hands down better than the original. Mainly because it has more hop flavor and aroma..all around fresher taste..I plan on making this again soon..I need to stock up on some more hops!!

At 3 weeks in bottle it was a bit hazy..and seemed to have way more hop aroma than flavor.. After it aged a bit more this is a very fine beer!!':ban:

J

My constant low efficiencies bit me in the butt again. However, it finished around 6.3%ABV and the hops flavor/aroma is amazing!!!

I'm going to be making a gumballhead clone soon with a lot of amarillo and I'm really looking forward to it. The dry-hopped amarillo really came out nicely.

Thanks Yoop!!!

So, from this thread I've seen three versions of this recipe (hops ignored):

AG (original recipe):

13 Pounds 2-row (US)
6 ounces Maris Otter malt

LME:

DME:

8 pounds 8 ounces DME
1 pound crystal 40L

So, if you wanted to do a PM, would the below be an acceptable recipe for the grains only?

I can only do around 2.5 gallon boils right now, so @ 1.25 qts / lb of grain, I can mash roughly 6.4 lbs in 2 gallons. Mashing in 2 gallons will allow sparging with up to .5 gallons water. (Which is more than would be needed, right?)

6.0 lbs Briess 2-row
6.0 oz Munton's Pale Ale Malt (Maris Otter substitute?)
5.0 lbs Pale LME
1.0 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L
Hops adjusted for boil volume per beersmith

This is my first time to translate a recipe to something else, so please let me know if/where I've messed something up.

-n

I'm not even sure if I would spend the time doing a PM. This is one of the recipes that is so simple that just using extract would probably be OK. However, if I was doing it as a PM I would stick with the original AG recipe. Then you would just use the 6 oz Marris Otter + 2-row up to your mash tun/kettle's capacity and then bump up to the OG with extract.

I'll probably just be doing the extract + 40L next weekend. I'm pumped about this one. DFH 60 is one of SWMBO's favorite beers.

I took your BSM files and imported then into Beersmith, but it's showing 2 oz of Amber Malt instead of 2oz of MO. Did you change the recipe?

First I wanted to say hello since I am brand new to this forum and new to home brewing. Also sorry if this is a dumb question but does using pellets have any effect on this instead of using whole hops?

Also the recipe says dry hop 3 days. Does this mean dry hop after 3 days in the secondary?

Can Chinook be substituted for Warrior?

Thanks you for the LME conversion Yooper, I think this will be my next batch of beer.

Well, I use pellet hops too, at times and I've never changed the amount at all. I did hear somewhere that pellet hops are more concentrated, but I just go by the AAs on the package when I figure out the IBUs, and had no problems at all.

You can substitute chinook for the warrior, but I'd probably sub nugget or galena if you can find it. Warrior is pretty "clean" and neutral, and chinook can be harsh. Still, I think the chinook will work too if that's what you have.

Sorry I missed the other questions, adx and natronicus. I was out of town last weekend, and missed your questions. I hope that you found answers ok. If not, let me know and I will try to answer them now.

And, welcome to HBT!!!!

Went to LHBS to get the ingredients and ran into a hop prob. I got 1 oz Galena,1 oz Cascade, 1 oz Glacier and a 2oz finishing mix of Eight different hops. What do you think start with the Galena as bittering in .75oz and .25oz additions then on to .25oz additions of the mixed bag till flame out, then save the Glacier and Cascade for Dry Hopping? I know Amarillo, Warrior and Simcoe make this recipe but forced to start substitutions.

ok so I ordered the stuff to make the extract version of this beer. I couldn't find warrior so I am subbing Millennium on the hops.

I am really looking forward to making this.

Gnome said:
Went to LHBS to get the ingredients and ran into a hop prob. I got 1 oz Galena,1 oz Cascade, 1 oz Glacier and a 2oz finishing mix of Eight different hops. What do you think start with the Galena as bittering in .75oz and .25oz additions then on to .25oz additions of the mixed bag till flame out, then save the Glacier and Cascade for Dry Hopping? I know Amarillo, Warrior and Simcoe make this recipe but forced to start substitutions.

Well, I really have no idea on that! I know that this hop shortage had definitely made us come up with some new ideas. I don't think I've never used glacier, so can't really speak to it at all. I think it sounds good otherwise, although not like the DFH taste.

I found all the hops at AHB and ordered today. Can't wait to get this one going. I'm still new to this so I'm going the extract route using DME. Thanks for the recipe Yooper!

Go NMU Wildcats!!!! :rockin:

Could someone clarify the dry hopping for this recipe. In the extract version is says (Dry hop 3 days) but in the original she dry hopped for 9 days total which I assume was how long it was in the secondary. I would think I would want to just dry hop this the entire time it is in the secondary.

Here is an extract that I did with what I had available. It came out Great and I am making it again!

9.9lbs light malt syrup
1lb marris otter malt
1oz Nugget hops – continuous for 25 min
1oz Centennial hops and .5oz Simcoe – continuous for 35 min
1oz Centennial and .5oz Simcoe – Dry hop
.25tsp Irish moss
White labs California ale yeast WLP002

hey yooperbrew whats up? i saw your recipe for the dogfish head 60 min. and am very interested but also a llittle intimmidated. i have only done 3 batches of beer which came from kits and 1 batch of cider which was not a kit so need les to say my experience is not very great right now. do you think someting like this is too much for me right now or do you think you could give me a hand getting it going? i just want to start getting away from kits and start making some real brew. thank alot and i hope to hear from you.

tony.

Tony I wouldn't be too concerned if you are going to do the extract version. It should be just the same as buying a kit accept you are assembling the components yourself. There may not be the detailed instructions guiding you but you should be able to use the same routine for boiling, adding hops, cooling, aerating, pitching yeast, etc. Just adjust the times based on the recipe.

Oh, no you could very easily do it. No problem at all. It's just like a kit, as stever said, except that you are assembling your own ingredients instead of pulling them out of the box, I actually have detailed instructions in Beersmith, and I can export that as a text file and email it to you if you want if that will help.

As for dryhopping, I've dryhopped it for as little as 3-5 days and as long as 2 weeks (in the keg). Today when I racked it to secondary, I added the dry hops and will let that sit a week or so before racking it to the keg.

One last tiny, almost insignificant detail that I must tell you, stever. I am not a "HE"!

I know for bittering you could replace with a number of high AA..but for dry hopping and flavor you really need simcoe and amarillo IMO..it will still be a great beer in any account, but these are 2 hard aroma hops to replace so it will not be the same as DFH, if that is what you are shooting for.

Williams and AHB claim to have both of these in pellet form.

I used pellets to dry hop and gave it a gentile swirl every day and crash cooled..they all settle nice to the bottom so worked great. I kept in secondary on the hops for 2 weeks..longer the better

Jay

YooperBrew said:
One last tiny, almost insignificant detail that I must tell you, stever. I am not a "HE"!

Thanks for the clarification, I have fixed my previous post. :]

stever said:
Thanks for the clarification, I have fixed my previous post. :]

Haha- I'm just messing with you. Unless you actually looked at my gallery or "knew" me, it's probably hard to tell that I'm a woman. I'm actually kind of a petite woman, though, and it makes me laugh sometimes when you guys think I'm a big beer drinking guy! I sure wasn't offended, though, so don't worry about that! :mug:

Not offended at all. I do think I saw someone thanking a Lorena for the recipe? So part of my brain thought you were a woman but the other part that is responsible for making the correct decisions and figuring things out failed to put 2 and 2 together.

yooperbrew, those detailed instructions would be awesome to have. my email address is [email protected]. i figured i would be able to handle it. the onlt thing thta was worrying me was some of the terminalogy that was being used by everyone. but if there is one thing i do well it's following directions. so thank you so much again and when i get this thing rolling i will def. let you know how it's going.

I emailed the recipe and instructions to you- let me know if you have any questions. The recipe has instructions for both liquid extract, or dry, depending on your preference.

This recipe looks great, and as a Canuck that hasn't tried anything from Dogfish Head, this is going to be my next brew, and brew day is tomorrow!

However, I have couple questions about hop substitutions:

Finding these particular hops has been difficult for me, and my LHBS is really, really hurting in the hops department now (he says he's having problems even buying hops now) So, I need to make substitutions, but the pickings are slim.

For the warrior, I can substitute Nugget, but I am having problems with the Amarillo and Simcoe. I thought perhaps I could substitute the Simcoe with Cascade, since to me, they both have a piney sort of flavour. But Simcoe is around 12%AA, and Cascade is 5.5%AA, so would I have to double the Cascade? And if so, would double the hops at flavour addition add to much flavour?

For the Amarillo, I'm kind of stuck. The hops I have on hand are Liberty, Cascade, Chinook, Northern Brewer, Glacier, Sazz, Hallertauer, and Pearle. Any suggestions?

I know it won't be exactly like Dogfish Head, but since I haven't tried it, anything even remotely close would be great.

Any ideas?

Rhino

Well, the problem is that both simcoe and amarillo are kind of irreplaceable. Cascade could work for the amarillo, and as you noted, it just won't be the same beer, and you'll have to adjust the AAs for them. However, for the dryhopping you don't have to adjust them at all.

Chinook, NB, and Pearle won't be very good subs at all for either simcoe or amarillo. Liberty is NOTHING like simcoe, but it is good for aroma and flavor. Same with crystal hops. The only hop variety that I would consider as even a reasonable substitute for simcoe might be centennial. That's not a good sub, really, but it would give you a ton of aroma and flavor.

Actually, if you subbed centennial and cascade for the simcoe and amarillo, you'd get a nice tasty IPA. It wouldn't be a DFH clone but it woud be a very nice IPA regardless.

you can get the amarillo and simcoe at austinhomebrew.com or amarillo at brewbyyou.com (they say out of stock but they are not) and homebrewheaven.com has a great price on simcoe whole leaf. Granted that doesn't solve your problem since you are brewing tomorrow but without them It really wont be the same.

YooperBrew said:
ok, some people have asked me to post the conversion with LME. This is what I came up with:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Copy of Dogfish Head 60 Clone
Brewer: Lorena
Asst Brewer:
Style: India Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 13.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.6 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (35 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (30 min) Hops 13.1 IBU

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 9.70 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Notes:
------
Pacman yeast used. Hops were added as continous- first warrior for the first 25 minutes, then all mixed continuosly at 35 minutes.

I'm trying to gather the ingrediants to make this IPA, my local homebrew store doesn't have the hops so I am trying to just order everything from Austin Homebrew.

Is "pale liquid extract" the same as Austin's "extra pale liquid extract", #00761?

I can't find anything on their website called "caramel/crystal malt" is there another name for it?

Do you have to use pacman yeast, they don't list it?

I think it should be fine, I just brewed the DFH this weekend and used extra light LME. I think you should be ok with the extra pale but I will let one of the other more experience brewers let you know what the exact effects would be.

Well, I made this again, using all maris otter for the basemalt, and a pound of crystal 40L. The hopping was exactly the same. It's really good! I think it may be just a bit more interesting in the malt profile. After it's fully carbed, I'll try it again, but at this point, I think that will be a permanent change for me.

Yooper I wanted to start out and say THANKS for posting this awesome recipe. This beer really shines.
So I brewed this up about 2.5 months ago and I still have about a 12 pack left.
I have been noticing that the hop aroma and flavor is fading?
Am I crazy?
I remember about 3 weeks after bottling the lovely scent followed by a hop burst.
So I ask:
Am I nuts or does this happen?

No, unfortunately, that does happen. The fresh, in your face, hops aroma fades with time. I was actually thinking about adding some more dryhops to the keg, just to have that "good to the last drop" feeling.

I brewed this recipe Sunday morning, it's my first attempt at making beer that wasn't a kit. Thank you Yooperbrew, your recipe and instructions were easy to follow for a new guy. I woke up this morning to a plugged airlock from a nice strong fermention. I had to hook up a blow off tube. I can't wait to drink this.

nyer said:
I brewed this recipe Sunday morning, it's my first attempt at making beer that wasn't a kit. Thank you Yooperbrew, your recipe and instructions were easy to follow for a new guy. I woke up this morning to a plugged airlock from a nice strong fermention. I had to hook up a blow off tube. I can't wait to drink this.

Mine just went into the secondary on Friday night and it tastes good already.

You know there is something that I wasn't sure if I did correctly. When I poured the wort from the kettle into the carboy I used a funnel with a screen and I also used a mesh bag to filter out most of the hop particles. I then topped off the carboy by pouring water over the hop particles. The water was going thru the particles and going into the carboy a little off colored from the hops. Is that ok to do?

Back