Witbier Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jefro said:
Thanks ZombieBrew83 - I may have overstated by describing it as "paint" :) The flavor is not solvent-like, but it is very ... fruity almost, estery I guess. Before I dump it I'll try to find someone who knows the styles who can advise on whether I brewed a bad batch, or a good batch I don't like. I'll try the other recipes next.

I had a couple of these last night to meditate on you problem a little :mug: I think that the orange peal could create a little sourness and tartness if you add it too soon. I usually throw mine in with the coriander at 5 minutes and then let it stay in the kettle as I cool. I think that helps to hold onto the orange aroma more instead of letting it boil off. Ferm temps have a big impact with this too. I try to push mine a little on the high side to subdue the spicy ness of 3994.

I'd guess that you'll be fine. The flavor will mellow a little bit over time as well.

jefro said:
Reporting back - I think I failed. My batch is tart (almost sour), and has a taste that is distinctly not Blue Moon. It may be the phenolic taste of Hoegarden, but I have never tasted one, so don't know.

Points to consider:

- I didn't use oats. I should have read this entire thread before jumping in!

- I had a heck of a time cooling it off (large volume & no wort chiller) and pitched at 80 after several hours in an ice water bath.

- I boiled away my aromatics by adding them too soon. Orange and coriander should go in at flameout or very close to it.

- I used Belgian Witbier yeast. I think this may be the main source of the tartness/aroma. It also tasted very yeasty even after 3 weeks in the fermenter.

- I bottled too soon (3 weeks) - should have used a secondary and aged it for a while.

So.. will this beer improve, or should I just chuck it and keep experimenting? It ain't Blue Moon or anything near it, but it might be a nice Belgian for all I know. It tastes like paint to me, but for all I know that is how Belgian Witbier is supposed to taste. (Don't ask how I know what paint tastes like.)

I have made this 3 times now (with a tad bit of tweaking). Yes, it does not really taste much like blue moon (much much better, IMO). I would think to get more like BM, use a clean ale yeast instead of Belgian. Belgian yeast seems to have a pretty distinct, spicy, taste. Has become one of my favorite high level types of beer.

This brew has become a staple for me. I believe I have found my "house brew" - I always want to have it on tap :)

Use your basic 2-row. Don't measure out rice hulls in pounds so much. A ten pound sack is the size of 55 sack of barley. I usually use one full (decent sized) sauce pan for every five gallons.Your water / grain ratio looks fine.:mug:

so im brewing 10 gallons of this tomorrow but after i input my grain using the US 2 row at 2srm my and its calculating the final srm to be 3.2.. wouldn't the maris otter bump the srm to a closer level to your recipe? would it just change the entire taste profile? if thats the case what about adding some C40 to get the srm back in line with the original recipe? i also have british 50 - 60 malt

HELP PLEASE i know its last minute thanks all

Brewing this tomorrow i added an extra pound of flaked wheat and uk pale this is what i came up with.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Blue Balls

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Belgian Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Efficiency: 75%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5.39%
IBU (tinseth): 17.96
SRM (morey): 4.19

FERMENTABLES:
5.5 lb - Pale 2-Row (50%)
5.5 lb - Flaked Wheat (50%)

HOPS:
1 oz - East Kent Goldings (AA 5) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

MASH STEPS:
1) Mash in @ Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 3.5 gal
2) Mash out @ Temp 168 F, Time 10 min, Amount 3.0 gal

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.75 oz - Bitter Orange Peel, Time: 5 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
0.75 oz - Corriander , Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil

YEAST:
White Labs - Belgian Wit Ale Yeast WLP400
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 76%
Flocculation: Low-Med
Optimum Temperature: 67 F - 74 F

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2012-08-17 17:40 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2012-08-17 17:39 UTC

Checking back in - after being in the bottle for a month, the stuff I made is actually drinkable. I can taste the orange slightly, but not the coriander at all, as a note on a background of simple pale ale. There is also an overtone that is quite phenolic and estery, almost citrusy but not quite, which I attribute directly to the yeast (WLP400) - this is what I thought tasted like paint a few weeks ago. After aging, I have decided it is not really a bad taste, but not one that I would make with the recipe I did. I can taste the same sort of thing in other Belgians, where it is much complemented by malty sweetness, as in a good abbey ale.

Next time I want a Belgian beer, I'll make a dubbel or saison, I think. Next time I try to re-create Blue Moon I'll use ale yeast as well as oats, as the true original calls for, and add the spices at flameout.

I learn *so much* from this group.

This may have been covered but damned if I read 41 pages for a simple answer...

The OP shows a OG of 1.038. Why so low? That is an efficiency in the mid 60's if I'm not mistaken. A lot of people were chiming in that they "hit all the numbers." So why is efficiency lacking in this recipe? Is it the flaked wheat?

This may have been covered but damned if I read 41 pages for a simple answer...

The OP shows a OG of 1.038. Why so low? That is an efficiency in the mid 60's if I'm not mistaken. A lot of people were chiming in that they "hit all the numbers." So why is efficiency lacking in this recipe? Is it the flaked wheat?

Yep.

Ok, cool. Well, we didn't boil down as much as expected doing a 10 gallon recipe of this and ended up with 11 gallons at 1.040. I was bummed that the efficiency wasn't there but that explains why. I never have as good efficiency when brewing with wheat.

I made a rookie mistake and racked into the keg before taking my FG and ended up with 1.020. My OG was 1.050 any harm in treating the keg like a secondary for a few more days, or should i just throw it on some CO2. It was on the yeast for 12 days at 70 degrees.

Chuckabrewski said:
I made a rookie mistake and racked into the keg before taking my FG and ended up with 1.020. My OG was 1.050 any harm in treating the keg like a secondary for a few more days, or should i just throw it on some CO2. It was on the yeast for 12 days at 70 degrees.

I'd let if finish out. These are supposed to be light and crisp. 1.020 seems way too heavy.

Been drinking this ag clone for a few weeks now, could be my process but seems to light forbthe clone and the yeast makes it much more like a traditional belgian wheat, not the american wheat bluemoon is. Will try the recipe again with us05

BierMuncher said:
Recipe: Belgian Wit
Brewer: BierMuncher
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (47.0) Awesome taste. Add a slice of orange and people will be asking how you bought a keg of Blue Moon.Distinctive, light wheat beer with a hint of spice. The head is very white and lasts a long time. This is a light, spicy session ale. Perfect for the summer.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.20 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM

Estimated IBU: 17.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Pale Malt Crisp (UK) (3.0 SRM)
4.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (White Labs #400)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 3.50 gal of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 3.00 gal of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F 10 min

Alot of people say that blue moon tastes like Hoegaarden is that corect ?

In the recipie it cals for coriandet seend and orange peel, where do I get this ?? At the local supermarket ? When you say orange peel "bitter" what does that mean ?

Bitter orange peel can be found at any brew shop in 1oz packs. For coriander a local grocery store will have it in the spice aisle. Get whole kernels and crush them with a mortar/pestle or rolling pin.

Demon said:
Bitter orange peel can be found at any brew shop in 1oz packs. For coriander a local grocery store will have it in the spice aisle. Get whole kernels and crush them with a mortar/pestle or rolling pin.

Thanks dude :) is this beer a clone or look a like of a Hoegaarden ?

My wife volunteered the small hand-held electric coffee grinder the first time we made a batch of this wonderful liquid...and the thing did a fantastic job on the coriander.

It is a Blue Moon clone.

I respectfully disagree. I've made this batch a few times and its a Belgian Wit (Hoegaarden) way more than an American Wheat (Blue Moon.) Taste and style guides agree. Either way it is very delicious. This recipe, and primarily this yeast, will give you a healthy clove flavor not found in Blue Moon.

If you ferment it with a wheat yeast (I've used S-04 with great results) your finished product will be much closer to Blue Moon.

The first time I made this I was expecting Blue Moon and was sorely disappointed. However, I did end up with a very satisfying Belgian Wit. I like to make this with Wyeast 3942 for more fruity notes and softer spice flavors.

Made this last weekend. I am wondering if I need to rack to the secondary ? Or just leave it for another week and bottle .

Just finished the boil on this. I had to sub US goldings for EK as I had none on hand. I also added 1oz of bitter orange peel instead of .75 oz, and I also will be using WLP 410 (Belgian Wit II) instead of the WLP 400. It smells so good, the best smelling beer that I have made to this point. The orange and coriander aroma is excellent!

Started this baby yesterday. I made two minor (I hope!) changes. First, I used 1/3oz of Magnum hops at 15.2% simply because that is what I had on hand. Second, I let the coriander seed and orange peel boil for 10 minutes rather than the 5 mins the recipe called for. It smelled heavenly and I had good yeast action about 6 hours after pitching. I plan to have this as one of the beers at our annual New Years party. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Started this baby yesterday. I made two minor (I hope!) changes. First, I used 1/3oz of Magnum hops at 15.2% simply because that is what I had on hand. Second, I let the coriander seed and orange peel boil for 10 minutes rather than the 5 mins the recipe called for. It smelled heavenly and I had good yeast action about 6 hours after pitching. I plan to have this as one of the beers at our annual New Years party. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sounds like it will be spot on.

OBayBrewer said:

Just did a hydro reading on this brew this morning and it is already down to 1.010. My OG was 1.040 which should give me an ABV of approx 3.94%.

It tasted pretty good, but the hops were prominent, though this should mellow with time. There was a taste of wheat on the back of the tongue that lingered nicely after each sip. The mouthfeel was a bit thin, but not bad. I think time in the bottle will round everything out nicely. I'm just hoping it is ready by New Years. I know it will be drinkable, but probably not truly "ready".

Definitely a good, simple AG Witbier that I will try to always have on hand!

Thanks Biermuncher!!!

Just did a hydro reading on this brew this morning and it is already down to 1.010. My OG was 1.040 which should give me an ABV of approx 3.94%.

It tasted pretty good, but the hops were prominent, though this should mellow with time. There was a taste of wheat on the back of the tongue that lingered nicely after each sip. The mouthfeel was a bit thin, but not bad. I think time in the bottle will round everything out nicely. I'm just hoping it is ready by New Years. I know it will be drinkable, but probably not truly "ready".

Definitely a good, simple AG Witbier that I will try to always have on hand!

Thanks Biermuncher!!!

The mouth feel on this beer improves greatly once properly carb'd. :mug:

Just pulled my first pint of this stuff from the kegerator exactly 1 month from brew date. Brewed it per BierMucher's recipe verbatim, except I added a full oz. of bitter orange peel (didn't want to waste the last 1/4 oz). OG 1.041, FG 1.010. Mashed at 150F. Currently at 2.5 carbonation levels, will get it up to 3.5 here in the next week. I also added some gelatin to the keg (standard practice for me) to try to clear it up a bit (didn't work so much, that's ok).

Note that I currently have a head cold, and can't smell very well which might sway my comments, but my initial thoughts are that it's very light-bodied, and definitely bitter/spicy from the orange. The mouthfeel is very thin, too, like water. Pale in color (Beersmith says 3.5 SRM, and I agree). Good coriander flavor, perfect quantity. It's definitely very easy to drink and put back. I will be interested to put a slice of orange on my glass (gasp!) and see if that offers any improvement to it (might sweeten up the spiciness of it).

Not a super huge fan at the moment, but also not a huge witbier / Blue Moon fan in general. Maybe it's the head cold I'm dealing with, maybe it's the low ABV I'm not used to. Maybe next time I'll jack up the ABV another 0.5% with more grist, and mash at 152-154ish. I dunno... I do agree with other reviews that it tastes more like a Hooegarden than Blue Moon.

Either way, a good quality session witbier, and I bet it would go back smoothly after a day in the summer sun (it's 30 degrees and snow on the ground as I type, which might affect my response, too).

Thanks for the recipe.

Bottled 5 gallons of BB 26th December and am hoping it will be drinkable for New Years. If not, it'll stay in the fridge and finish and I'll enjoy it later.

Thanks again to BierMuncher for a great, simple, delicious recipe. Slainté!

So I'm getting ready to brew this one this week, but the numbers aren't adding up for me.

With 4.5 lbs of 2 row and 4.5lbs of flaked wheat, I'm showing 1.044 @ 70% for a 5.5 gal batch. I see you show 1.038???

Am I missing something? Using BeerSmith 2

OBayBrewer said:
Bottled 5 gallons of BB 26th December and am hoping it will be drinkable for New Years. If not, it'll stay in the fridge and finish and I'll enjoy it later.

Thanks again to BierMuncher for a great, simple, delicious recipe. Slainté!

It was drinkable, but has gotten better and better every day since! This will be a staple, though I'll dial back the hops a bit in my next batch. I ended up using APPROXIMATELY 0.33 oz of Magnum at 15.32% instead of the EKG at 5%. Next time I'll pick up the EKG instead is subing something else. Anyway, damn good brew!

Just tried this @ 7days (1.048 was my OG -- way overly efficient) with 1oz coriander @ 10min, 1.2oz navel orange peel @ 6 mins.

This is absolutely fantastic at only 1 wk old. I'm going to go ahead and keg one of the carboys. Def the fastest beer to be drinkable for me. This is definitely getting rebrewed again and again.

Also, it reminds me much more of a Hoegaarden than a Blue Moon, as others have indicated, especially in terms of color. It's very light. This is hitting the keg in time for the Super Bowl for sure.

Latest posts

Back