Low Gravity IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxguitarist

Reaction score
On the heels of the similar thread ( https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/ex...rs-anyone-has-experience-brewing-them-213073/ ), I'd like to get some criticism on my take on the recipes suggested.
For me, this will be a soda/seltzer-replacement beer, hopefully with some good flavor. I drink beers like Southern tier's unearthy, Stone Arrogant bastard/ Ruination, etc. Also can enjoy a lighter pale ale, Porters & stouts aside.

What I'm shooting for here is a nice hoppy light beer with low ABV and hopping that is enjoyable for me, while not so off-putting for some of my female friends (yeesh, not trying to stereotype)

I noticed that Northern Brewer carries some organic LME and malts, so I figured I'd give them a shot. My mothers favorites are those from Otter Creek's Wolaver organic line. Her basement gets used, so I'll appease her there.

Enough rambling.

Steep 1 LB Briess Organic C-60L from cold water temp to 170 F

1.5 lb LME @60
.5oz Northern brewer @ 60
(remainder) of LME @ 15
.5oz Northern brewer @ 10
.5oz Cascade @ 5
.5oz Cascade @ flameout

I intend to use S-05 yeast.

I'm showing 1.029 OG, 29 IBU, (3% ABV) which is obviously a bit on the hoppy side of things, but still a low total OZ of hops- Think I should cut this back? Other input?
:mug:

Andrew

I would consider using noble hops for the IBU to gravity ratio that you are looking at.

The yeast is fine, in my opinion.

Perhaps switch to Fuggle @ 60 & 15?
Looks like that would knock me all the way down to 17 IBU, 1.3 ratio.

You could try hop-bursting and ditch the 60min add and keep it all late, which will keep your IBUs down, but give you more hop aroma/flavor. I'd add in a dry hop too

Latest posts

Back