Dallas one wire and connector question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to wire my stand, control panel is done but I'm not sure I understand how to wire the temp sensors using the Dallas one wire daisy chain topography. I have 2 XLR connectors that will each lead to 3 sensors for a total of 6. Is it as easy as running the wire from the XLR connector at the panel and splicing in temp sensor 1, run a bit more wire and splice in sensor 2, then terminate the run at sensor 3 for each run??

Second, anyone know what kind of connector this is and where I can find the female side to make wiring my valves much easier??

IMG_20101219_234909.jpg

IMG_20101219_234850.jpg

Is it as easy as running the wire from the XLR connector at the panel and splicing in temp sensor 1, run a bit more wire and splice in sensor 2, then terminate the run at sensor 3 for each run??

Yes. That's how you do it.

Interesting choice to use 1-wire devices here. What lead to that decision?

That's the platform Brewtroller uses.
Ah! I've never looked at the BrewTroller much. Sorry for being ignorant.

Any ideas on where to find the connectors?

No, but I can't really get a sense of how big it is or anything. There is nothing in the picture to establish scale.

What is that connector and cable currently attached to?

Ah, gotcha on the scale

Not ignorance regarding brewtroller platform, just didn't know, I'm the ignorant one :D

Here's a couple pics to help with scale. The wiring is for my 3 way motorized ball valves and a couple 2 way as well.
IMG_20101220_151120.jpg

IMG_20101220_151130.jpg

I would suggest going over the specs for your valves. They should indicate the kind of connector they have on them.

Checked the specs and they aren't there, but I got part of the info I was looking for and contacted the manufacturer and these have to be plugged into a PCB connector, there's not a wire to wire for this type.

Thanks anyway!

I need a wire to wire connector. I have all my valve wiring terminating in my panel to a waterproof D-sub 25. From there I have a cable that will plug into another D-sub 25 on my frame. The wiring will run in the frame to each valve. I won't have the time or cash to do my final metal frame for a while so I'd like to have a wire to wire connector that way I can unplug the valves when it comes time to run the wires through the metal frame.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Sensor cables

Standard industrial means for connecting sensors to automation gear:
http://www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/sensorcables.pdf

I didn't look long, but I'm sure you can get just the male and female cable mount plugs and solder them yourself - Or buy the pre-made cables, and cut them.
IOW buy a 2 or 5 meter cable, cut one meter off. Solder the piece with the male end to the valve/RTD/whatever. Solder the piece with the female end to your DB25 breakout box. Then connect the male to the female. Voila - Pretty molded inline connectors. And they are less than $10 for a 2m cable FTW :rockin:

I probably should have posted the question in 2 OP's but the connector I was looking for was the one that is pictured, it's attached to my motorized ball valves. I found out that there is no wire to wire mate for this type, just a PCB connector. I was able to find an alternative wire to wire for this application and I already have XLR connectors for my temp sensors.

Thanks for the input and good luck on your sensors, I was lazy and just ordered my probes from brewershardware.com

Latest posts

Back