double out of a single?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianP123

Reaction score
so, how does one make a double (imperial) out of a single recipe?

can i just add a few more lbs of malt extract and some more hops, or is it more complicated then that?

???
bp

Oops! I misunderstood the question when I posted my reply.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's more complicated than that and it works in the opposite direction too. You can't take a recipe and cut it in half thinking you'll get the same beer only just half of it.

Beersmith is a great resource for doing things like this. You can enter the recipe as it is, then start adjusting ingredients and it'll show you how things change. SG, FG, ABV, Color, IBU's, etc. It won't tell you how it's changing... say... the amount of roasty flavor that you get from the specialty grains is changing, but it's a start. Helps to keep you from miscalculating adjustments and turning a good IPA into an imperial pale ale instead.

PT Ray: I might be wrong, but I don't think the OP is asking how to make ten gallons from a five gallon recipe. . . I think he's asking how to turn something like an IPA into a IIPA. (Or a Stout into an Imperial Stout, etc.)

Here's my rule of thumb, but bear in mind I've only ever done IIPA's in the past, so this may not work for you. ALWAYS check your recipe in Beersmith or HopCalculus to make sure it's on target for what you want:

(1) Double the base grains, minus a pound. Add back that pound in dextrose.
(2) 150% of the bittering hops at 60 minutes, another 50% of the bittering hops at 30 minutes, 150% of the aroma hops, and two ounces of dry hops for 7 days.
(3) 150% of the specialty grains; less for really strong flavors like chocolate malt.

Back