Aeration Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexun

Reaction score
About to go to full boils and thining about aeration. Will pouring the cooled wort through a sanitized colander (into the fermentor) not create enough surface area in the wort to dissolve enough O2?

The engineer in me thinks it might but alas, no experience to confirm.

Adding more Oxygen through a stone or shaking or a drill attachment just goes a long way to helping ensure a short lag time for your yeasties and a healthy fermentation. I would spend the extra 3 minutes after you pour through your strainer and make sure it's really well aerated.

The engineer in me sanitizes an egg beater and whips that wort into shape (until my arm goes numb) then into the primary through a sanitized strainer. My dry yeast took off in less than 8 hours both times. Second time was full boil worked just fine. Eventually I will be buying a stone and bottle but for now what I am doing is working.

From my experience with pouring full boils into the fermenter, it seems to be all the aeration I need. To give you a time frame, I'll brew in the late afternoon/early evening, pitched, and wake up the next morning to see the krausen already firing up nicely.

So I'll be sticking with this approach until it stops working for me.

I have had a couple long lags with the shack the crap out of it method but all eventually when fine...:)

I now use a DIY O2 system because its cheap, quick and I like toys :) I will say it's made a big difference and I should have done it sooner...

I never did anything but shake until full boils...

If you are skilled enough you can also just pour some wort back and forth between the fermenter and the kettle...this is what i do and i only do partial boils so ill boil the water by itself pour back and forth 2-3 times then pour the wort in and go back and forth another 2-3 times....pitch the yeast and get the bucket a little shaking around to mix the yeast and add even a little more aeration should be plenty and never need to get a stone or o2 system

Back