Roadside Assistance APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnj

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8.3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @67F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @70F
Tasting Notes
Earthy hop aroma and flavor with Caramel malt backbone
This is the second revision of my APA. The goal was a middle of the road ABV APA with caramel malt and earthy hops. To that end I think I succeeded. This beer won a Gold medal at the 2009 Schooner Homebrew Competition in WI for the APA category with a final score of 43.5.

I do 3 gallon batches, scale accordingly.

5.5lbs 2-Row(Rahr)
1/4lb 80L Crystal
1/4lb Honey Malt

.25oz Magnum @ 60m
.25oz Simcoe @ 45m
.25oz Magnum @ 30m
.25oz Simcoe @ 10m
.25oz Magnum@ 5m
.25oz Ahtanum @ 1m

.75oz Ahtanum Dry hop
.25oz Magnum Dry hop

Mash in at 154 for 90 minutes(though you could probably do it a lot shorter)
60 minute boil
Pitch a starter of Wyeast 1056 or other neutral yeast and ferment for 3 weeks before adding dry hops. Again you can shorten that time line if you hit your FG sooner, I'm lazy and let it sit.

You could sub the Ahtanum for Cascade but I think you would change the hop profile if you subbed the Simcoe and Magnum. The IBU's on this are high(70) but it is not real bitter and doesn't taste out of category. You might consider more dry hops if you like a bigger nose.

Overall I really enjoy this beer and plan to revisit it, I hope you enjoy it too and look forward to hearing if anyone brews this. The name came from the story at the beginning of the Charlie Papazian book about homebrew saving him and a friend on a cold night when their car broke down and the fact that it was originally brewed as an American Amber Ale, AAA offers roadside assistance. As an Amber you would just bump up the gravity a bit, increasing the percentage of Crystal and bump up the 60 minute addition a bit.

Back