Nitrogen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyAB

Reaction score
So I ordered a nitrogen setup from Kegworks but I'm not sure if I can get 75% N/ 25% CO2 beergas. If I carbed with CO2 and then pushed with pure Nitrogen would that work well for my English Ales and Stouts?

the point behind the 75/25 mix is to use the high pressure of the nitrogen to push the beer through the faucet/ restrictor plate, and use the 25% co2 to maintain proper carbonation.

If you were to carb with co2 and push with pure nitrogen, your beer will lose carbonation and go flat.

A beer carbed and kept under 10 psi of co2 stays carbed. The same beer carbed at 10 psi co2 and served at 20 psi nitrogengoes flat? Dont understand that one.

Are is the Argon CO2 mix really the equivalent of the Nitrogen/CO2??? That is much easier for me to obtain. Will the taste and texture be the same?

argon will disolve into the beer at a rate 3x higher than nitrogen, so that might change the mouthfeel a bit. but the idea is the same. 75% argon/25% CO2, and 75%nitrogen/25% CO2 are pretty much the same otherwise.

solubility of:
CO2- 3.35
Argon- .95
Nitrogen- 0.3
(grams of gas that will disolve in 1 kg of beer @ 0*C)

The difference when it comes to consumption between the nitrogen and argon is really imperceptible IMO. I bet if you did a double blind experiment it would reflect it. My $0.02!

:mug:

cyber... nice pic of the Grand Haven lighthouse. Was just there two weeks ago and end up at the condo there as often as possible. Cheers.

Thanks Hawks! That was 2 summers ago when I came out to visit from PA. Little did I know that I'd end up living down the road in Holland! :0

Back