What 2 base malts would you stock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
I just got a new maltmill for xmas. I ran out and bought two 60# vittlevaults and filled one with a Munton's Perle 2 row pale malt.

My question is, what would you put in the other, and what would you replace with when you were done with the first?

I did mean to get Maris Oter, but mistakenly bought the wrong one. I was thinking of getting a pilsner malt, but still not sure what base malt is most practice for many different styles....

Thanks in advance.

BeerAlchemy lists my top two fermentables over the past 3 months as US 2-row (45.63%) and light Munich (11.31%).

In my brewery, Maris Otter and Pilsner are the two malts I use most frequently; of course, I make English and Belgian style beers 5:1 compared to American styles.

I use US 2-row and maris otter malt the most. It's probably close to 50/50 in how much I use of each. Second is Munich malt, with Vienna malt just behind that. I bought 40 or 50 pounds of 2-row and MO, and 20 pounds each of Vienna and Munich.

I have always kept English Pale Ale malt around in bulk, and I think I am going to start keeping some pilsner around too since I find myself doing more lagers as of late. US 2 and 6 row are only required occasionally so I just buy those as needed.

I make a lot of wheat beers, so if I had to choose just two, one of them would have to be a sack of wheat. Probably Pils for the other.

Golden Promise and Pils are what I like best, but I usually keep a domestic (rahr) 2-row on hand also.

Two?! I keep domestic 2 row, MO, pilsen, vienna, munich and wheat. :) You never know what you might want to brew or when you can brew (at least for me) so I keep everything around for nearly anything I might want to make. But I have a problem where I see a recipe I like and order the ingredients for it randomly. :eek: But if I had to keep just two, MO and probably wheat. But thats for my tastes, I like hefe and British beers most. If you're into German or Belgian beers it changes things.

Latest posts

Back