Steeping Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monghetti

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am going to start my second career batch tomorrow and had a simple question about steeping grains. The recipe says to steep 24oz crushed crystal malt, 4 oz crushed chocolate, and 4 oz black patent. I only have one of those cheese cloth-like bags for steeping and am wondering if it is ok to combine the grains and steep together in one bag or should they should be in seperate bags?

This is a brewers best Bold Series Holiday Ale. Anyone ever had it? Thoughts? Thanks

Christian

Good I was hoping that would be OK.

My other noob issue is that I can't seem to get the hop smell out of my primary fermentation bucket. I washed with soap was water, sanitized, and soaked it in a water/vinegar solution for a few hours and it still smells fantastic. Is this normal and OK or will my next batch pick up some of the odors?

Some smell always seems to linger no matter what you do. It will not make any difference in your following batches. If you think about it, what's it going to do? Make your beer smell like beer. :D

Have you tried oxyclean? That stuff eats up odors, along with everything else.

My pail is soaking in it now.

Back