15 gallon batches - Is it possible with extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illin8

Reaction score
I have some 15 gallon demi johns that are doing nothing (plus wine press and everything else to make vino but thats another story). Is it possible to make 15 gallon batches using a partial boil with extract? I can do a 5-6 gallon full boil using my Bayou Classic no problem and have an IC. I'm thinking that I'd have to do 10-12 gallons to account for headspace but don't really know if it will work. I don't have the ability to do more than a 6 gallon boil and am skeptical if this can be done but figured I'd ask anyway...

Thanks.

6+6+top off= 15.

I dunno if it will work, (with the time between batches) but I'd try it.

since you can't do full 15 gal batches, I'd settle with two 6 gals.

B

If you do it from 1 partial boil your going to have to drastically increase your hops depending on the style your brewing. Heck invite a brew buddy over with his kettle and burner and have a brew party both of you can brew the one batch 6G each.

Sure, just boil 2 batches of the same wort and blend them together in the fermenter. I think I'd go ahead and pitch the yeast when the first batch goes in and then pour in the second batch when it is ready. You could probably even get away with doing the second batch the next day if time gets away from you.

I do! Takes awhile, about 45-60 minutes for it to get there with 20 gallons. I just do other stuff while its heating. 10 gallons or 15 gallons will take less time. I got weldless fittings from morebeer for thermo and ball valve, theres no lifting that bad boy when its full. I raised my burner up on 6 cinder blocks (two sideways under each of the 3 legs on the burner) to get it high enough to easily drain into carboys. Its nice to brew my 'house' beers in large batches less frequently, leaves me plenty to bottle and give to family and friends too.

Back