Just had my keggles welded ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddroukas

Reaction score
Just had 2 keggles welded with 4 connections (1/2" couplings for ball-valves and 1/8" couplings for sight glasses) for a grand total of $45. Only thing is...dude guy didn't clean up the welds so there's a lot of heat-stress visible around them. I used a SS wire brush to clean the outsides then wiped down with BarKeeper's Friend. I must say it looks pretty classy. The inside, however, is still gnarly with a capital N. Is it safe to polish her insides with the same treatment (SS wire brush >> BarKeeper's Friend)?

-Vielen Dank.

By "gnarly," what do you mean? Is it black and bubbly with some white crystalline looking bits? If so, NEVER have that guy weld stainless for you again. I'm guessing that he didn't properly back gas the backs of the welds. Fortunately, keggles usually hold the hot liquids in brewing, so your risk of infection from gunk hiding in the cracks and bubbles is very, very low.

If there is crystalline structure to the interior portions of the welds, it will be very difficult to clean with just a wire brush. You'll get any loose slag off of them, and they'll be clean enough to brew, but they will never look nice. If, on the other hand, there's just some discoloring, the stainless brush and BKF treatment will work very well.

Sorry, I guess I should have been a little more clear. There's no crystalline matter or cracks or bubbles... just heat stress...about 1/2" - 5/8" radiating from the coupling. I guess I should take a photo...back in a minute.

EDIT:
Here they are, outside first:
keggle01.jpg

then inside:
keggle02.jpg

Kinda sad to see that no one has the ambition or ability to use a purge or backup flux on the inside of the kegs when they weld in couplings. I must be one of the very few that back welds the couplings on the inside and polish the interior of the keg around the weld. I guess i should post a couple of pictures of the keg conversions this weekend for a club member so one can see the difference.

kladue - it looks pretty oxidized, but not as bad as I've seen. There may have been some attempt at protecting those welds. I'd like to see how they clean up.

Because Solar Flux can leave an almost glass-like coating, I've gone to 100% back purged welds.

Back