How long will crushed grain last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllHoppedUp

Reaction score
How long will crushed grain last? I bought two kits at once and this second one has been sitting around for about 3 weeks. Does it go bad or just lose freshness?

AHU

as long as you keep it cool and dry it should last a goo dlong while. I might lose a little freshness, but you'll probably be fine using it up to 3 months later.

I keep my grains in ziplock baggies in the freezer, and I've used some that is 3 months old and it seemed fine to me.

-walker

Walker said:
I keep my grains in ziplock baggies in the freezer, and I've used some that is 3 months old and it seemed fine to me.

-walker

Aha...that's why your beers suck. :p

Nahhh...I agree, keep 'em cool and dry and they will last quite a few months.

I used year old vacuum sealed pre-crushed grain last year and you would never have known the difference. Perfect conversion, gravity, etc so there appears to be little to no loss of extract potential as long as you keep it dry and limit O2 exposure

Barley is grown in the northern zone, only one crop per year. SOoo, next August you will be brewing with 11 month old grains. What does that factum do for your perspective?

Is there a freshness code on 50# bags? "Must be used before "The Rapture", as there is no beer in heaven" (that's why we drink it here"- from an old German drinking song)

AllHoppedUp said:
How long will crushed grain last? I bought two kits at once and this second one has been sitting around for about 3 weeks. Does it go bad or just lose freshness?
I asked the guy at my LHBS that same question once, as I had some crushed grains that had been in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. He kind of looked around to see if anyone was listening, then said, "There's a brew pub around here that buys all of their grain from us, and since they're cheap, we crush all of their grain for them. They don't like to make a lot of trips over here, so they get a six month supply every time they come, and we grind it all right then, and they've never complained about the grain losing any freshness".

Can't say if it's true...but I don't see why the guy would have pulled my leg, when he could have just as easily told me my grain was bad and sold me some more.

Dark_Ale said:
Wont the grain absorb moisture if left in the freezer?

Objects in a freezer LOSE moisture, not gain it. That's why meat looks like old shoe leather if it's not wrapped properly.

they'll also oxidize in there. the best bet is just to keep them in an airtight package, in a cool dark place. vaccum sealing is a good way to go. I do that and just keep stuff under my counter. Never had a problem. Also never bought more than I would use in two months...

Back