First lager - yeast performance question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
I've got a Munich Dunkel fermenting right now. Fermentation is slow and steady with wlp820 (known to be finicky but mine is moving right along). Temp varies due to swamp cooler method but staying in the 50s.

Yeast pitched monday.
Active fermentation began Wednesday.
It is now Friday.

Question: I am doing a diacetyl rest toward the end of fermentation. How do I know I'm reaching the end of fermentation as this is a fairly slow fermentation with 1 bubble every 4.6 seconds consistently for 2 days now. Is it going to slow quickly or gradually?

Ultimately I guess I should ask if I slip up allowing active fermentation to end, will a diacetyl rest be effective if I raise the temp to 70 after active fermentation?

All this is important as I'm going out of town for the weekend to get some much needed R&R with the wife in control of putting ice bottles in the swamp cooler.

I've got a Munich Dunkel fermenting right now. Fermentation is slow and steady with wlp820 (known to be finicky but mine is moving right along). Temp varies due to swamp cooler method but staying in the 50s.

Yeast pitched monday.
Active fermentation began Wednesday.
It is now Friday.

Question: I am doing a diacetyl rest toward the end of fermentation. How do I know I'm reaching the end of fermentation as this is a fairly slow fermentation with 1 bubble every 4.6 seconds consistently for 2 days now. Is it going to slow quickly or gradually?

Ultimately I guess I should ask if I slip up allowing active fermentation to end, will a diacetyl rest be effective if I raise the temp to 70 after active fermentation?

All this is important as I'm going out of town for the weekend to get some much needed R&R with the wife in control of putting ice bottles in the swamp cooler.

You can start warming to you d-rest temperature after about 50% attenuation.

http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/q...ager-method-produce-esters-and-other-off-flav

Answer #1 explains why the esters and other flavor compounds are no longer an issue at this point.

In summary, once all of the oxygen in your beer is metabolized at cold temps, you can warm it up to d-rest temps without fear of producing excessive esters.

You can find 50% attenuation by taking a hydrometer reading. I'll be making a Vienna Lager this weekend using this method.

Thanks TheMadKing

Well that's disappointing ... from 1.055 to 1.050 in 54+ hours of active fermentation. On the bright side it tastes very clean!

I guess another way of asking this is:
If an average active fermentation stage of average strength american style ales is 3-4 days(when proper quantities of yeast are pitched), how long should an average strength lager take to ferment with proper quantities of yeast pitched?

No matter what I've got my answer thanks to gravity reading I know swmbo will be keeping watch over fermentation while I'm gone! She'll hate this but marriage is about sacrifice(her) and kissing up(me) ... oh and love... almost forgot that one! :D

Thanks TheMadKing

Well that's disappointing ... from 1.055 to 1.050 in 54+ hours of active fermentation. On the bright side it tastes very clean!

I guess another way of asking this is:
If an average active fermentation stage of average strength american style ales is 3-4 days(when proper quantities of yeast are pitched), how long should an average strength lager take to ferment with proper quantities of yeast pitched?

No matter what I've got my answer thanks to gravity reading I know swmbo will be keeping watch over fermentation while I'm gone! She'll hate this but marriage is about sacrifice(her) and kissing up(me) ... oh and love... almost forgot that one! :D

It should take between 4-7 days for 50% attenuation to occur for a lager strain at ~50F.

Did you warm your hydrometer sample up to 68? The temp will throw off your reading.

Your SWMBO is very special. Hold on to that one :)

Weird, just very WEIRD!
I'm 9 days into primary fermentation and am at 1.040, roughly 40% of expected attenuation. This is wlp820 which is generally described as the most finicky lager yeast on the market. It is fermenting away, a dark brown not too high krauzen on top with 1 bubble consistently every 3.1 seconds for days. Temp consistent in mid 50s.

I had an older vial of yeast that I pitched into 400 ml of 1.028 starter. It fermented out then added 500 ml of 1.040 wort. Decanted, poured in 1 liter of 1.040 wort, fermented out. Decanted, poured in 2 liters of 1.044 wort. Decanted, pitched in 5.5 gal batch.

That's a total of 3.9 L of starter, the yeast was very healthy.

Any thoughts?

Weird, just very WEIRD!
I'm 9 days into primary fermentation and am at 1.040, roughly 40% of expected attenuation. This is wlp820 which is generally described as the most finicky lager yeast on the market. It is fermenting away, a dark brown not too high krauzen on top with 1 bubble consistently every 3.1 seconds for days. Temp consistent in mid 50s.

I had an older vial of yeast that I pitched into 400 ml of 1.028 starter. It fermented out then added 500 ml of 1.040 wort. Decanted, poured in 1 liter of 1.040 wort, fermented out. Decanted, poured in 2 liters of 1.044 wort. Decanted, pitched in 5.5 gal batch.

That's a total of 3.9 L of starter, the yeast was very healthy.

Any thoughts?

You probably didn't get much growth in your starter until your last step, unless your yeast vial had about 1 billion viable cells in it.

1L or less for a starter doesn't result in much growth from a wlp vial or smack pack. You were basically just waking the yeast up, feeding them, and putting them back to sleep without making any new cells.

Unless your viability was 1%.. You mentioned it was an older vial.

You probably didn't get much growth in your starter until your last step, unless your yeast vial had about 1 billion viable cells in it.

1L or less for a starter doesn't result in much growth from a wlp vial or smack pack. You were basically just waking the yeast up, feeding them, and putting them back to sleep without making any new cells.

Unless your viability was 1%.. You mentioned it was an older vial.

I believe the expiration was early/mid November and I undertook making the starter in Jan. I remember viability being below 25% so maybe my dates are wrong. The 400 then 500 ml steps were necessary to get it going. It went like gang busters at room temperature on both the 1L & 2L steps.

I believe the expiration was early/mid November and I undertook making the starter in Jan. I remember viability being below 25% so maybe my dates are wrong. The 400 then 500 ml steps were necessary to get it going. It went like gang busters at room temperature on both the 1L & 2L steps.

Krausen doesn't necessarily mean cell growth, just cell metabolism.

I have a batch going right now with wlp820 that was 6 months old. I just did a two stage starter and it has fermented from 1.056 down to 1.014 in about 10 days. Doing a d-rest right now. I guess I got lucky.

Just checking- you're not using a refractometer to measure the SG, right? Using a hydrometer?

yes, a hydrometer.

I'm using the swamp cooler method in cool winter temps and it has been pretty good plus I work from home so monitoring/adjusting is easy. I put the last frozen bottle in 2 mornings ago. The temp is at 59 currently, still fermenting. Probably pull it out of the swamp cooler tonight, set it in the corner to finish up in the mid-60s. It is this yeast strain and sure I'm slightly under pitched but not by much. Will be recycling the wlp820 and let y'all know if it performs better in the 2nd generation.

On a positive note the hydro samples even though they have yeast and are during active fermentation taste amazingly clean with no diacetyl which I'm very sensitive to. Brew & Learn!

At this point my beer has been fermenting for 19 days! The fermenter is sitting at 64 F currently. Fermentation has substantially slowed from a bubble ever 3-4 seconds to one every 12-20 seconds.

I'll probably be checking my gravity tomorrow.

Back